General Stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Stuff

Hey everyone!! First off I wanted to thank all of you for your help in the past, it really has been great!! I had just a couple of general questions about my 1999 Trans Am.

I am looking to replace the struts. The price on these is really good, but not sure about the quality? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GABRI...item20afca9103

My car rides really rough right now, I am almost sure the owner before me put lowering springs on it. Do you guys suggest changing both the struts and the springs? The car does not bottom out, and I kind of like the little lower look to it, I just need it to ride smoother.

Something else I have been wondering about is my steering wheel. The red lights (stereo controls) only work on the left side of the wheel. I don't even need the controls because they do not function with my cd deck anyways. Any suggestions for a steering wheel upgrade? Does anyone know if a smaller steering wheel will turn the front wheels faster or slower? Sorry for all the questions guys, I am a rookie lol.
    TRANSBOY
    TRANSBOY 4-LIFE
    1999 Trans Am
    SLP Box/Loudmouth

I don't know about the shocks or smaller steering wheel, but with my aftermarket stereo I bought a little device to make the stock steering wheel controls work with the Sony stereo I bought. It is made by PESWHIPS. You just program it to your steering wheel and all the steering wheel functions work again.

cc 304 Cam, BBK Headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Eagle Crank, 1.6 Rocker Arms, Zoom Racing clutch, Pulley, Computer upgrade, Hurst short throw shifter,KNN filter

Comment

Car definitely appears to have been lowered. You need to find out the brand of springs and the brand and model of the shocks (there are no "struts" on a 4th Gen ). You need to know whether the springs are progressive rate or fixed rate. Then you need to know if the shocks are well matched to the springs.

Once you have all the part brands/description, you can check with Sam Strano ot Strano Performance Parts. Sam is a high level Auto-X competitor, and knows the 4th Gen suspension better than anybody.

http://www.stranoparts.com/

With regard to the steering wheel, you can substitute an aftermarket steering wheel, but obviously you loose your air bag and stereo controls. I'm not aware of a smaller factory wheel that would incorporate both, but some research into other GM models may turn up a wheel that is compatible. I have a Grant steering wheel which is smaller than stock diameter, but my car is not really street driven any more, and I don't have a stereo.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yeah, I'd recommend finding out what you have first.

Assuming you don't...you may want to hit the reboot button and start over.

I'm a huge fan of Sam. He helped me set up my car the way it rides now. I looked at Bilstein, but Sam convinced me to go with Koni.

The biggest improvement to our cars from stock is by way of shocks. The DeCarbons are junk. Next, springs with shocks can make an even bigger improvement. BUT, springs must be chosen carefully. Very few lowering springs are capable of working with off the shelf shocks. Most trade off ride quality for looks (lowering). Your best bet would be to pick up SS/WS6/V8 springs on the cheap, and use the savings to get Koni SA shocks.

If you've got the cash, and want the best, pick up Sam's lowering springs with the Koni shocks.

Springs are not nearly as important on these cars as the shocks. So if you can only do one...do the shocks. Ditch the lowering springs if you can't find out their rate.

BTW - I'm assuming your doing this for street use, right? If you want a drag set up...ignore everything I said. That's a different recipe all together.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Definately need to match the shock valving to the springs. If you don't, the car will probably ride like crap and only get worse from there .....when the shocks blow early.

Comment

I wanted to thank everyone for their help! I will be checking to see the brand of shocks and springs on the car now. I also made contact with Sam, he also suggested the same thing you guys did, later tonight or this week sometime I will check and see what is on the car.

Then I will post an update for everyone Thanks again!!
            TRANSBOY 4-LIFE
            1999 Trans Am
            SLP Box/Loudmouth

Comment

Working...
            X