Checking Codes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Codes

So I have a code reader key instead of the paper clip. Does the same thing the paper clip does. Here is the problem, I put the key in and turn the ignition to run without starting and the SES light goes blank, idiot lights do there thing, and the fans kick on. The SES light will not blink to even show the all clear "12". It is the 12 pin and not the 16. Any ideas?

Without the code reader in place, does the SES light iluminate when you put the ignition key to run but not start it?

Comment

Originally posted by 94TAGT
      So I have a code reader key instead of the paper clip. Does the same thing the paper clip does. Here is the problem, I put the key in and turn the ignition to run without starting and the SES light goes blank, idiot lights do there thing, and the fans kick on. The SES light will not blink to even show the all clear "12". It is the 12 pin and not the 16. Any ideas?
      The paper clip (shorting the pins) method will not work on a 94. You need a real scanner to read the codes.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        Without the code reader in place, does the SES light iluminate when you put the ignition key to run but not start it?
        Sure does.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
          The paper clip (shorting the pins) method will not work on a 94. You need a real scanner to read the codes.
          I just read that about 5 minutes ago on an internet search. Time to spend more money on a cable and a computer program, BLAH! LOL!!!

Comment

Initially the reason I needed the code was due to a SES light coming on after about 20 minutes of driving every time I went somewhere. Performance was not comprimised so I had no clue what was setting it off. Then I realized when I cleaned the throttle body and MAF I forgot to plug in the IAT. After I plugged it back in I had no more SES. But it made me want to see any codes that might be hiding anyways. Thanks for the help guys! Any links for a good program and cable?

Comment

if you search amazon or ebay you might get a nice obd-1 scanner adn the GM chip for cheap now-a-days, esp since obd-II has been out since 97, might be a better alternative, esp will alot of dealers closing down, my old shop i worked for picked up two scanners(obd-II) loaded with all the forgein and gm codes and whatnot
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Why not buy a new/modern scanner that will read both OBD-I and OBD-II PCM's. They are not all that expensive. Look to Actron or AutoXray. You're going to be owning OBD-II vehicles, and its going to be useful for years to come.

Or you can get a used, simple OBD-I AutoXray scanner for less than $100 these days.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  Why not buy a new/modern scanner that will read both OBD-I and OBD-II PCM's. They are not all that expensive. Look to Actron or AutoXray. You're going to be owning OBD-II vehicles, and its going to be useful for years to come.

Or you can get a used, simple OBD-I AutoXray scanner for less than $100 these days.
                  Do they come with the CAN style like on the new GM's? My wifes Acadia has that.

Comment

Fred - OBD-II is on its way out, they are going to a new style, some chrylsers have and a few gms now, its a Can-Bus i beleive, it prioritizes commands(if you are trying to go to full throttle but a misfire happens it will throw the check engine like before it goes to full throttle
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Many current scanners incorporate CAN Bus, in addition to OBD-I and OBD-II.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                      X