MAF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF

Bought a reman MAF from Pep Boys. It only came with the black part that has the electrical connection. Looking online, I saw Auto Zone has the black electrical part and the metal parts on either side including the screened section (at least that is what the picture shows). Is this necessary when getting a new MAF or are they just shiny parts?

Ryan
    96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

you can re use the metal parts from the old one, just 4 bolts, the plastic part is sandwiched between them. Its probably cheaper to get just the electrical part and not the whole assembly . I dont think theres any point in buying new metal parts
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Actually I had already installed the part when i posted. Upon driving the car it ran horribly. I am taking that one back and buying from somewhere else. The only reason I replaced it was for a SES light. The car runs fine on the old one, I just have the light and lower mpg than I used to.
      96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Comment

When the MAF sensor throws a code, the PCM goes into a forced open loop mode and runs off of the 'minimal' feedback programing, be it stock or modified. Did you give your computer a chance to re-learn its calculations? My guess is there was something funky with that reman part though...
        -Alex
        1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
        ZO6 wheels (clones)
        LED exterior and interior lighting
        With questionable guts:
        Forged bottom end
        free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
        pacesetter longtubes
        T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
        Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
        K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
        96? ws6 hood
        96? ws6 spoiler
        full emissions delete
        polished heads with oversize valve job
        Edelbrock IAS shocks
        Full tubular Chassis minus k member
        Daily Driver and love it that way
        Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

When MAF signal is lost, the PCM should default to speed-density mode, and continue operating in closed loop, as normal. Its not "minimal" in any way. If it did default to open loop, there would be nothing to "relearn" because "learning" is disabled in open loop. The only potential problem with this is in modified engines, when the volumetric efficiency (VE) tables have not been updated to reflect any breathing improvements.

What was the specifc code that you had with the old MAF sensor?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

My intent was to have a shop install 2 new O2 sensors (pre cats). Instead went with the diagnostic. The goal is to regain lost gas mileage and slight drop in performance. He said code 100 for the MAF sensor. It also had codes for the air pump. For the time being I don't plan to replace the air pump since it does not affect the performance or MPG.
            As for the MAF sensor. Should I reset the PCM after installing the new MAF to help the computer learn the new part?

Comment

The only reason the PCM would have to "relearn" anything would be if the output calibration of the MAF you bought did not match the output signal calibration of a stock MAF. In that case, the long term fuel corrections would immediately start to change, to correct any errors in the A/F ratio due to the MAF miscalibration. Resetting simply clears the long term fuel corrections.... that about all that it "learns". Might learn a tiny bit faster, depending on how screwed up the MAF sensor is.

How long was the SES light on before you had the codes checked? What were the EXACT numerical codes for the O2 sensors? There are numerous codes, and some of them are not caused by the sensors themselves.

I'd recommend you have it scanned again, and write down the EXACT numerical codes.

There was a "recall" on the AIR pump. Was the recall done on your car? If not, you may still be able to get it done for free.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

There never have been any O2 related codes. Just thought it would be a good idea with 121k miles to replace them.
                The codes from the scan were 100, 0410, 1416. The SES light has been on for a couple of years with 1416. Again didn't replace it because I didn't think it affected anything but emissions.
                I searched the internet for the Air pump recall and have not found anything. Does anyone have more info on when this came out?

Comment

Shoebox provided this info on CamaroZ28.com. It showed up in a Google search:
                  Product Emission - Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.) Pump System Failures #99083

99083 -- Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.) Pump System Failures
                  1995, 1996, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird Model Vehicles

Equipped with 5.7L Engine (RPO LT1-VIN Code P)

Condition
                  General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Campaign involving all 1995, 1996 and 1997 Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird model vehicles equipped with 5.7L (RPO LT1-VIN Code P) engines. The Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.) pump emission control system on these vehicles may fail to operate and cause the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) to illuminate. This condition may be due to corrosion of a solenoid internal to the A.I.R. pump.

Correction
                  Dealers are to install a new A.I.R. pump assembly kit that is designed to protect the A.I.R. pump system from failing due to internal corrosion.

Vehicles Involved
                  Involved are all 1995, 1996 and 1997 Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird model vehicles equipped with 5.7L (RPO LT1-VIN Code P) engines and built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Year Division Model Plant From Through
                  1995 Chevrolet Camaro Ste. Therese S2100001 S2229521
                  1995 Pontiac Firebird Ste. Therese S2200001 S2256723
                  1996 Chevrolet Camaro Ste. Therese T2100001 T2166869
                  1996 Pontiac Firebird Ste. Therese T2200001 T2232760
                  1997 Chevrolet Camaro Ste. Therese V2100002 V2160181
                  1997 Pontiac Firebird Ste. Therese V2200001 V2232666
                  Fred

Comment

I appreciate the info. Called the dealer. It is going in next week.

Comment

Working...
                    X