Battery drain problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery drain problem

When everything is supposedly off, the 94 Firebird still has a 9.3 millamp drain.

0.2 mA is from the ABS
    3.0 mA is from the PCM
    5.0 mA is from the Courtesy circuits
    1.1 mA residual

Shouldn't the Courtesy circuits be 0.0mA? Yeah, I checked, both the glovebox & console lights go out when the door and lid are closed.

What is a "Retained Accessory Power Module"? A fancy term for Radio? If it is, isn't 5mA a bit much?

What is a "Retained Accessory Power Module"? A fancy term for Radio? If it is, isn't 5mA a bit much?
    This module retain power 10 minutes after your engine is off and/or the ignition key is in or out of the lock. But the doors has not opened. I'm not sure right now if 5 mA is the right amount of electric charge used by the RAP module...but sound just right to me if I recall.

You have to check the amp drain in the condition stated before. Then You are able to set the true source of the battery drain.

In my car. The iPod interface module was the main culprit and a bad connection with my Xenon fog lights. In other words, you may want to look for, in first place, any aftermarket device connected to your battery.

Been there done that.
    dochidalgo
    97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

As the Doc points out - RAP feeds the radio and the power windows, to allow them to work for 10 minutes after you turn the key to "off", or until you open a door. That's why you can sit and listen to your radio without turning the key to the accessory position.

A "milliAmp" (0.001 amp) is pretty small. Even though a switch, like the ones in the door frames that turn the courtesy lights on, is "open", tiny amounts of current can travel through the dirt, dust and moisture that accumulates in the switch. That current flow will show up on your meter, but isn't enough to allow the lights to glow visibly. Dirt on the battery can allow a tiny current to track between the negative and positive terminals.

You have less than 1/100th of one amp flowing. It isn't significant.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Battery Drain

It doesn't sound like you have a very serious drain. According to the shop manual, 20 milliamps is normal. Is the battery losing its charge?

Comment

Working...
        X