Lt1-LT4 ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt1-LT4 ??

wow .. been since 2006 since I was last on .. hope all the old timers from back in the day are still here???
    Well long story short after marriage, a 3 yeard and a new place I finally got my TA in a place where I can work on her. Back when I was here LT-4 top end and AFR's and such were the topic of the day. I happen to have untouched LT-4 intake and mani and wanted to hear the current collective wisdom... She is ...or will be a daily driver/weekend trouble maker and wanted to know if they still got it .. or can still get it or if something new/better has come out since? She has 1.6 rr, 1 5/8 headers and thats it I think for the motor...
    anyway ... nice to be back and any insight appreciated..
    97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
    In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

What do you mean by having an "untouched LT-4 intake and mani"? You just have the LT4 intake manifold?

Times have changed recently where the LT4 package isn't a good bang for buck, unless you have the heads and manifold already. You can pull your heads and ship them to Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliot. They can port your heads beyond any set of stock LT4s and get a ton more hp than the LT4 conversion kit can offer. They'll also make a custom cam to match your desires.

AI made mine with the smog cam and 200 cc full ports. I'm on the borderline of running 11s, but still need some work. If you already have the LT4 heads and intake, you can have them port it too for a lot more hp.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

sorry.. by untouched I mean I have the heads and manifold are as they were out of the box from the factory and still in a box. they have never been and I have not done anything to them... just sitting in boxes..... not portmached ...not machined in any way

thanks .. for the reply and information ... just what I was looking for ....who did your reprogramming and what size headers are you using? If memory serves me a 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 is better than the 1 5/8 that I have now ..
      97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF

Comment

Yes, you will not want a 1 5/8" header with that setup! At least 1 3/4" long tubes if you can get that smogged. I'm only running 1 3/4" SLP shortys which is a huge restriction in my system. If only they'd pass long tubes for smog...I think a set of restrictive headers versus large long tubes could mean up to 20-25 hp on a heads/cam setup.

As far as reprogramming, I got a baseline tune from PCMforless. It wasn't very good because it's such a custom setup, that it's tough for him to dial it in correctly. So I got it dyno tuned with a local tuner, then Jeff Creech at Carolina Automasters examined the tune and dyno sheets and finished it off. I also bought LT1Edit so I could reprogram the fans for when it's time to smog. My fans are set at 187, so setting it to stock 22x makes it pass smog.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

thanks . I'll have to find some place here in So Cal that can do the dyno-tune and reprogramming not to mention the machining of the heads/intake and finish the heads....

Comment

Working...
          X