Headliner questions......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headliner questions......

Well, as usual, when I have a question about my old firebird, no matter how obscure I may think it is, I use the search facility of this board and get lots of good information. Accordingly, I searched around for posts about headliners. Like most of the problems that crop up with my car, I guess my headliner problem is not so unique....

I still have a couple of questions though, for anyone that has ever repaired or replaced a headliner.

Recently, I have experienced the problem of the actual fabric starting to become delaminated from the foam backing. I could have saved some time by reading the forum, so I would know that trying to glue it back up is a waste of time, unless you have the right kind of heat resistant adhesive.

I know you can buy replacement fabric which is adhered to a foam backing.
    If you use this solution, I would assume that you peel off both the existing fabric and existing foam backing.

Now, before I make a bigger mess than what I already have, what is under the foam backing that provides the underlying shape of the liner?

Also, about how thick is the backing foam when you buy replacement fabric?

Any and all other tips that anyone might have in tackling a job like this would be greatly appreciated. (BTW, my formula has T-tops.)

Thanks!
    '94 Firebird Formula, Lt1, 6 speed, all stock

I strongly suggest ditching the entire headliner and going with a new fiberglass or plastic shell and headliner fabric. The factory shell is made of a juke type material that simply falls apart. Getting new headliner material with the foam backing and attempting to glue the stuff to the old shell can be done, keep in mind that most likely it will be coming apart again later.

here is the bare board

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...Q5fAccessories

or the complete headliner

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...Q5fAccessories

or if you have T-tops:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-02...Q5fAccessories

The replacement headliner fabric uses a foam backing that is only a few millimeters thick. When you glue it to the original factory shell, work from the center outward and use plenty of glue. It's a bit of a PITA, that's why I suggest a plug and play that will have better long term results.

Comment

I have done several headliners and it's pretty easy if you have the time and want to save some money. Fabric stores carry the material with the foam on it. I would strongly suggest using the headliner glue in a spray can from NAPA. I went through several different types and brands before I found this one. Take the trim off then the headliner falls out. Take the material and peal it off. Now here's the trick use a pressure washer to get the remaining foam off the board. It comes right off that way. Gather as many heavy soft cover books as you can find that will completely cover the headliner. Spray the glue on the plastic or cardboard shell. Carefully lay out the material leaving a couple of inches hanging over the edges. Pile the books on and let it dry. Come back tomorrow and trim the edges. Reinstall. Enjoy the money you saved by going to Outback.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Nice find Joe.

Anyone have a resource for actual interior color names?
        I'm trying to figure out if my grey interior is Very Dark Grey, Medium Grey, Medium Dark Pewter or Graphite...
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I firmly believe the factory shell is crap. I will never redo a headliner again with the factory shell, it comes apart so easily. I've seen the results of the new shell, that's the only way to go if you want it to last the life of the car.

Comment

Thanks for those links Joe! I can certainly see the advantage of replacing the existing one with plastic.
            I'm going to check around here locally, to see if one is available since the shipping charges for something oversized like this is pretty pricey, and ends up being a big percentage of the overall cost.

Jeff,

Thanks for the advice. That doesn't sound like it would be too bad a project, and of course the price would be right to a cheap old B****d like myself.....LOL!

The idea of using a power washer sounds pretty good, but you're only suggesting that if the backer is plastic and not some kind of chipboard/cardboard right? I would think the washer would damage the latter kind of shell........ But, maybe I'm wrong, and you have done it before with success?
            '94 Firebird Formula, Lt1, 6 speed, all stock

Comment

Originally posted by formula_gramps
              Jeff,

The idea of using a power washer sounds pretty good, but you're only suggesting that if the backer is plastic and not some kind of chipboard/cardboard right? I would think the washer would damage the latter kind of shell........ But, maybe I'm wrong, and you have done it before with success?
              I did a couple of Fords and they are a pressed cardboard. It survived just fine.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
              X