Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire question: Continentals vs. Goodyear vs. ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire question: Continentals vs. Goodyear vs. ???

Calling the tire mavens!

My Goodyear F1s on my TA are showing signs of needing replacement (they wear out from time, not use).

Was going to replace them with another set of Goodyear F1s, but my tire dealer said he could no longer recommend Goodyears because of quality issues. He'll sell them to me if I want, but recommends a set of Continental "Extreme DWS". These are asymmetric, not unidirectional like the F1s (less expensive, too).

Any suggestions?

Help me, Obi-Wan Ke-Wolfie! You're my only hope.
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Well, I'm not Ken, but I'll throw in my dos centavos if it'll help.

From the tires you've mentioned, I'm guessing you need a good performance all-season tire, right? If so, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS that your tire shop recommended look to be pretty good from what I've seen. The tread pattern is a little odd, I agree, but apparently it works. A couple of other good alternatives would be the BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S or, if you don't mind spending the money, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

Now, if you want something a little more aggressive, I'd highly recommend the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500. I've been running their predecessor, the Firehawk Wide Oval, at Ken's recommendation and have been very happy with them. In fact, I've been so happy with them, I recommended them for my sister on her 96 Z28 and for Craig on his TA, both of whom seem to be pretty happy with them as well. The Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 just came out, so I don't have any personal experience with them, but since they are the replacement for the Wide Oval, I'd imagine they're at least as good if not better. A good alternative would be the BF Goodrich g-Force KDW. I ran the old tread pattern KDW on the Z when I first got her and was pretty happy with them, but not quite as happy as I am with the Wide Oval.

Obviously, I yield to Ken's knowledge on the topic, but I hope this helped. Good luck on your decision.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I've seen some good reviews for BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport AS over at TireRack. They're all season, but seem to emphasize dry performance. They have a direct comparison test against the Conti's which did better in the wet, but worse in the dry.

I'm running Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. They do good in the dry and ok in the snow. Very good ride.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Funny a thread on tires comes up today. I got nailed at work. Wearing a donut right now for a patch repair. grrrrrrrrrr

What about the new Eagle GT's? No good? I was thinking about getting them myself. They supposedly have a outer lip to protect the rim from scrapes.
        Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
        2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 98 'Bird
          They supposedly have a outer lip to protect the rim from scrapes.
          I believe a lot of tires boast this feature, so its not something limited to the Eagle GT. As for the tire itself, I'd go with the BFG, the Continental or the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position on the 16s. Hope this helps and sorry to hear about the tire.

Also, any bets on how long it will take Ken to chime in? lol
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
            I believe a lot of tires boast this feature, so its not something limited to the Eagle GT. As for the tire itself, I'd go with the BFG, the Continental or the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position on the 16s. Hope this helps and sorry to hear about the tire.

Also, any bets on how long it will take Ken to chime in? lol
            I'd thought he'd be in on this thread already, but I'll give him 0800 Tuesday.
            2006 Saturn Ion Redline
            2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

As Wolfie will attest, I'm not a very aggressive driver, although I do want something that grips well when cornering. The car is a '98 and has 36K miles on it. Rarely driven in snow. Okay, rarely driven, period.

So, my tires tend to wear out from age, not mileage. The sidewalls are cracking on the two oldest (6 years) Goodyears.

I'll wait for the saying of sooth from Obi-Ken and will check-in tomorrow evening. In the meantime, thanks again for the advice everyone. Hoping all goes well for you, 98 'Bird.
              R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
                So, my tires tend to wear out from age, not mileage. The sidewalls are cracking on the two oldest (6 years) Goodyears.

I'll wait for the saying of sooth from Obi-Ken and will check-in tomorrow evening. In the meantime, thanks again for the advice everyone. Hoping all goes well for you, 98 'Bird.
                Over 6-year-old Goodyears here too on my 98. All is well; got a patch for now. Wish I could advise you on the tires, Roger.

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
                Thanks, Z. I once met someone who had the same car, same rims, and everything. He went to park and bounced off a curb. "ouch" I thought. Then he shows me his perfect unmarred rim and says that he's hit curbs many times and that his rims would look pretty bad if the flange stuck out like mine. Why I didn't check his type of tires I don't know.

Sorry for the somewhat unnessesarily large pic BTW, will have to resize things in the future.

We'll wait for an expert on the subject. Anticipation of the Wolfman continues...
                Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
                2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                  I'd thought he'd be in on this thread already, but I'll give him 0800 Tuesday.
                  Still nothing. Maybe he had an AARP meeting? lol
                  Steve

Comment

Considering your priorities, I'd say the Conti's are the way to go. I'm always looking for my next tire and Continentals you mentioned, from what I've read, are very good in the wet, which is not an F-body strong suit. They should ride comfortably for an all season performance tire.

I had Wide Ovals on my last F-body, but the Indy 500 version looked like a totally different tred pattern. I can't really compare one to the other.
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD
                    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Thanks, Joe.

You're right about wet weather handling.
                      R.i.K.

Comment

I had some Firehawks that I thought were pretty good- lots of audible warning when you were getting near the limits, and wore far better than the Yokahoma's I used- And the Goodrich KDW's were okay in wet, but were useless when the temps got down to about 35 deg. or so- for that part, the all-season Goodyears I am currently running are about the same- when it gets cool out, feels like the road is covered with sand, and slippery. The Goodrich were terrible about following the wheel ruts in the road, the Goodyears are a little better.
                        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I just got back from Uvalde TX from Continental's Proving Grounds after beating up on their tires and the competition. I work for Discount Tire btw.

Continental makes awesome tires...much better than any Goodyear product. Although, the Eagle GT is a strong tire in terms of performance.

The DWS is on galactic backorder - so finding them in a 245-55-16 will be hard. It has alot of new technology, but a very soft sidewall.

The GT is one of my favorite tires...hate Goodyear, like the GT. It has the largest rim/flange protection I've ever seen. Also locking sipes.

I would stick to asymmetrical tire designs...so you're able to rotate side to side rather than just forwards and back.

But between the GT and DWS...I'd pay for the GTs, better dry performance and better looks.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Very informative. Thanks.
                            R.i.K.

Comment

I have to cast my vote for the BFG GForce Sport tires.

I currently have them on my Camaro. Actually, there are KDWs on the front and Sports on the back. I replaced 2 tires with the KDWs and when I went back 3 mo. later to replace the other 2 I was informed that the KDW had been discontinued and replaced by the GForce Sport.

I liked them so much, I just recently put a set of the GForce Sports on my GP as well.

Having said all that, my cars almost never see ice or snow and only see rain a few times a year so my experience is based on mainly dry and HOT weather performance.
                              My DD
                              2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Working...
                              X