Using a bigger oil filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a bigger oil filter

Hi. Does anyone know (particularly those familiar with 3.8s) if I can use the longer oil filter specified for the 4.3 L? I believe the treads and diameter are the same, and that it's just longer. There is plenty of room in the V6 F-bodies for a longer filter. If it would work, I'd like to use the longer one made for the truck (4.3) engine and put a full 5 qts instead of using the Dixie-cup sized filter with 4.5 qts.
    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

While I don't know if the filter in question is the same thread, I can talk about using a bigger filter.

I've been using the truck version of the LT1 filter on my car for over 10 years. Like you, I grew tired of having a half quart of oil left all the time. Additionally, the biggest benefit is increased surface area to filter the oil. Sure, a little more oil is a good thing, but the added flow potential as the filter becomes old is the greatest benefit.

I say - go for it. Just make sure the threads are the same, and the filter will physically fit into the space without hitting anything.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Additionally, the biggest benefit is increased surface area to filter the oil. Sure, a little more oil is a good thing, but the added flow potential as the filter becomes old is the greatest benefit.
      Exactly.

Thanks, Al. I can still get away with returning it most likely if the treads don't match. More surface area = more filter to hold the dirt and better flow. As for fitting, there must be ten inches of free space there that an LS1 would otherwise occupy.
      Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

just make sure they have the same "workings" some filters have a anti-drain back valve and/or a pressure relief valve built into them. if you got a filter book its easy to look up the stuff
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
          just make sure they have the same "workings" some filters have a anti-drain back valve and/or a pressure relief valve built into them. if you got a filter book its easy to look up the stuff
          Sorry, but what do you mean by a filter book? The standard in-store books don't list alternative filter capacities - at least not in my local Advance. Are you refering to those books or something else?
          Thanks
          Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

napa has the book, its hard to explain, its been a while, ill see if i cant talk to my guy at napa
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Moroso offers SBC filters up to 2 quarts. They provide the thread specs, so you can check to see if they match your V6. All of the SBC filters have an anti-drainback valve and a pressure bypass valve.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=20002
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thank you, everyone. Moroso racing filters look great but it may be a little overkill for me. I did some more reading and found that it's somewhat common to use the 4.3 filter for the 3.8. I got myself a free M1-201 and going to use it one the next change. Should be good.

Thanks.
                Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

mobil1's m101 and m201 are the same - just longer (higher capacity). lots of the v6 guys use it. a turbo v6 in atlanta uses k&n's...not sure the code, but it's exactly the same as mobil1 filters, except a couple bucks cheaper.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

ac delco pf52 the bigger one, I have a few for the baby camaro with the 3.8
                    93 t/a A4 3.23s
                    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                      mobil1's m101 and m201 are the same - just longer (higher capacity). lots of the v6 guys use it. a turbo v6 in atlanta uses k&n's...not sure the code, but it's exactly the same as mobil1 filters, except a couple bucks cheaper.
                      Yes, 201 is the same thing, just as you said - longer and higher capacity, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm only using the Mobil filter actually because I got it free with a 5-liter of M1.

Originally posted by Trans Am
                      ac delco pf52 the bigger one, I have a few for the baby camaro with the 3.8
                      I plan to use this one (except when M1's on sale).

Thanks everyone
                      Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                      X