99 ls1 egr keep or not ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 ls1 egr keep or not ?

I m sure this has been discussed a lot in the past, am trrying to get some feedback from people who removed it. are there any side effects, is it worth removing it, what exactly does it do and is it useful for the motor or is it just for emissions ?

I already reoved the AIR system.
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

I'm in the process of blocking my EGR as the inlet tube doesn't seal well with the headers I just put in. Here's my take...someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

EGR will take exhaust gases and circulate them back into your intake under certain conditions. The inert gasses lower combustion temperatures which reduces emissions.

There isn't any major benefit to removing it. You'll have less engine clutter and your intake will get less buildup of soot from the exhaust, and I suppose it's one less thing to break. On the flip side it may also make it harder to sell your car and your mileage will go down a bit.

If you unplug the EGR valve you'll get a code. I have no clue what form of emissions testing exists in London, but a SES code can cause a problem with passing inspections in some states. If the emissions levels are tested directly it could cause you to fail. You'll also want to make sure you don't have a visual inspection as a missing EGR valve and EGR tube can also lead to failing.

I don't think it'll effect timing. Without the inert gas, the MAF may measure more air when the EGR would otherwise be in effect, but the PCM should add more fuel to compensate.

I plan to keep my EGR valve hooked up and am just going to block the exhaust and intake. I shouldn't pop a code for the EGR and I'll still pass a visual inspection with all the plumbing and EGR valve hooked up. My mileage will go down, but at least the car won't sound like a tractor going down the road.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
      I plan to keep my EGR valve hooked up and am just going to block the exhaust and intake. I shouldn't pop a code for the EGR and I'll still pass a visual inspection with all the plumbing and EGR valve hooked up. My mileage will go down, but at least the car won't sound like a tractor going down the road.
      if you have a OBD-II car, by doing that will you get a flow code instead of a faulty EGR valve, my moms got that issues but its because she only drives 5 miles to work both ways so her explorer doesnt ever warm up
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Hmmm...I only live a couple miles from my office and have never had that problem. I also just finished up with my Grand Prix this afternoon and don't have any codes.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

From experience here, on the LT systems, I actually gained gas mileage without it, ONLY because I adapted my program on my pcm, I was used to tuning old sbc's and bbc's before I got into the whole fuel injected mess. I'm not entirely sure if its quite so consequential on the Ls1's, but removing exhaust gas recirc will increase your combustion temperature and increase the probability for detonation as well... The LT's are more likely to sustain damage from that due to the higher comp ratio, but the heads are cooled first in that system. Overall, deleting the egr didnt give me a performance gain per say ( +x hp/tq) more of a better basis to tune with. Plus, my egr was shot, and with long tube headers and no provision for an egr, why not remove it?
          If your system is running fine, just leave it be.
          -Alex
          1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
          ZO6 wheels (clones)
          LED exterior and interior lighting
          With questionable guts:
          Forged bottom end
          free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
          pacesetter longtubes
          T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
          Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
          K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
          96? ws6 hood