lt1 alternator rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lt1 alternator rebuild

the alternator on the 95 t/a is making a noise that sounded like a lifter or something in the engine, metallic knock . At some point , probably when the underdrive pulley was installed , the alternator bracket got broken, the aluminium part that bolts to the front of the engine. only a little part of it where the bolt goes into the alternator , but it was enough to change the alternator position slightly and over time seems like the bearings in the alternator gave up.

its the higher amp alternator according to the rpo.

Is it possible to replace just the bearings? apart from the noise it works ok
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Yes, I have rebuilt mine twice; once for bad brushes and bad rectifier, once for the rear bearing, they are fairly easy imho so long as you take it apart the right way; feed two paperclips into the tiny hols on the rear of the unit near and parallel to the axis of rotation, this will retain the brush heads (they can be a pain to get back into position if they shoot out, especially if they're worn) take the 4 case interlock bolts out, easy inspection.
    -Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by FTA1995
      Yes, I have rebuilt mine twice; once for bad brushes and bad rectifier, once for the rear bearing, they are fairly easy imho so long as you take it apart the right way; feed two paperclips into the tiny hols on the rear of the unit near and parallel to the axis of rotation, this will retain the brush heads (they can be a pain to get back into position if they shoot out, especially if they're worn) take the 4 case interlock bolts out, easy inspection.
      thanks, I ll take it apart tomorrow see what happens, hope I can find a bearing for it
      93 t/a A4 3.23s
      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
      99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
      99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
      97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
      00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdFA6WF8lVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlvR9...eature=related

And here is where I buy parts:

http://www.alternatorparts.com//
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
        X