02 t/a monsoon sail panel sub-woofers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 t/a monsoon sail panel sub-woofers

i've searched the threads i could find and couldnt come up with anything still available. have 02 t/a w/ monsoon. the factory/gm sail panel subs are only lasting about a year and a half before they go out and start rattling like crazy. guessing cuz they are probablly paper cones. getting tired of replacing them when they are $75+ a pop and dont last longer than that. question is this- is there a sub still out on the market that will be a direct fit and work with the stock unit/amp with little or no modification and sound ok and last? i know i should yank it and just upgrade everything probablly, but am happy with the stock setup less the crappy subs. plus cant afford to spend a ton of $$ right now. any input or pointers is appreciated.
    previous- '82 recaro. current-bone stock '02 t/a 6sp base model.

I copied this from another site, maybe it can help............

My recipe is the following: (note I didnt bother with the far rear speakers since they are small and just filler anyway).

Fronts:
    Alpine SPS-1005 Tweeters
    Alpine SPS-170A 6 1/2's

Rear Subs:
    Rockford Fosgate RFP4406 6.5" Subs.

For the fronts I chose the Alpines because they have a fairly low RMS requirement, and are always a good choice of speakers for deck power. They are also very efficient. Note these are 4 ohm speakers where the factory ones are 2 ohm, the factory speakers however have a bigger magnet requiring more power to run. Now the Alpines have a smaller magnet and run at 4 ohms effectively forcing the amp to decrease the power, however the speaker is of a much higher quality and requires less power to run at optimal performance and it does sound better. Listening to them side by side the Alpine was the no contest winner. The Alpine SPS tweeters also dont require a lot of power to run, and definitely sound clearer and have a higher frequency response than the factory tweeters. I also utilized the factory tweeter's crossover for the alpines. What was nice was I cut the harnesses off of the old dead equipment and used them to wire in the new stuff, so if I ever wanted to put stock stuff back in (I dunno why) I could. The only problem is that the tweeters need to be flush mounted in the tweeter holes so the factory grilles cant be used. They look good anyway though and dont require any drilling.

Next was the subs... now everyone knows a DVC Sub running at 2 ohms is going to be much more powerful than a SVC 4 ohm sub. Thats true when youre comparing the same quality of sub, however remember the factory 4+4 ohm subs are foam and paper and inefficient compared to an aftermarket sub. The rockfords have a HUGE magnet, and RMS at about 150 watts. Now here I had to do some assumption since I couldnt get a clear answer anywhere as to what the monsoon "500 watt" amp puts out per channel. I assumed the far rear channels were lower power than the fronts and subs, I also assumed the fronts were lesser than the subs. My assumptions were 50 watts to the rear, 150 to the front, and 300 to the subs. Now that is going to under power the Rockfords because im running them at 4 ohm not 2. My other choice was JL 6w0s which would have been better power handling wise for this application HOWEVER I cant find them ANYWHERE, ebay, internet, etc, nobodys got em. So my only other choice was the Rockfords (or Pyramids LOL!!). This was basically just on a prayer I hooked em up and damn, they put out a HELL of a lot more bass than the factory ones.

NOW... This is no replacement for a high end deck, a good amp, or a nice pair of 10's in your car... but it IS great sound for a factory setup, it didnt cost a whole lot of money, doesnt take up any extra room, especially for people who prefer a stock look, or have a "race car" that they want decent sound in but dont want to have to pull their sub box out of everytime they are at the track..

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/stereo...-speakers.html

Comment

Working...
    X