Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacesetter header help

Hey guys,

I'm just about finished up with my longtube header install (they have emissions), but I've hit a road block...I had an extremely difficult time getting the stock AIR fitting to catch the threads on the new header. Now, I can't get the drivers side fitting to go on for the life of me. I took a wire wheel on a drill to the threads thinking that the coating was preventing it from catching, but it didnt really help (the coating is still there, just cleaned it up a bit). What should I do? The AIR fitting threads are completley fine (they screw onto the stock manifold without a problem), and the threads on the header don't look damaged at all....

The threads just look a lot less "deep" then the threads on the stock manifold. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

I have an idea for you, find a fitting at the hardware store that fits the threads on the header side as it should, essentially get a 3/4(?) npt fitting that fits the header side, use an adjustable hose clamp in place of the crimped one. Some adaptation of that should fix your fitment issue.
    Or you could be cool like me and get rid of your cats No need for the air pump anymore then..
    -Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Welcome to Pacesetter's crappy quality. I had the same problem with the driver's side fitting on my mids. Your best bet would be to get a tap that big and chase the threads. If you can get to a hardware store with your A.I.R. pipe, they can probably tell you what the thread pattern and pitch is. Hope this helps.
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I think i'm heading to an industrial supply store tomorrow to try to find a large die for the header AIR attachment because it just won't go on......My only concern is, I dont think i'm going to be able to properly use the die with the minimal room I have to turn it in the engine compartment. What do you think? I've never used a tap, or die; any suggestions?
        1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
        Mods:
        "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
        Pro 5.0 Shifter
        Crane 1.5rrs
        Comp high tech pushrods
        Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
        SLP Loudmouth II
        SLP Cold air intake
        PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
        UMI adjustable panhard
        UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

Comment

If you get a good start on the tap, you can use a adjustable or correct size open end wrench. Socket and ratchet may work too. The die nut usually needs a special handle unless it's hex shape like a nut. If all else fails you can try the die with a big pair of pliers.

Gotta love YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Q34j0NceE

Here's a hex die. Ok to use with a wrench when chasing a thread. If you cut a new thread you need something like the handle shown int he video.
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

^^^ What he said. Just remember to be patient and take it slow. Also, if you have any, a little bit (couple drops or so) of lubricating oil would be good to use when chasing the threads. Good luck.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
              Also, if you have any, a little bit (couple drops or so) of lubricating oil would be good to use when chasing the threads. Good luck.
              I knew I forgot something. Very important. Thanks Steve.
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                I knew I forgot something. Very important. Thanks Steve.
                You bet.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X