Fuel Gauge problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge problem

I think I know that answer to this but wanted a second opinion.

I haven't driven my Camaro regularly for a while since I got my Grand Prix about a year ago.

The GP has a coolant leak (plus they found an intake manifold leak and a valve cover gasket leak, all covered under warranty ) so it is in the shop for a few days and I've been driving the Camaro. I noticed on the way to work Monday that the fuel gauge was acting strange. It would read almost full until I began slowing down then it would drop to just under half a tank and stay there for a couple of seconds before returning to almost full. Not trusting it, I stopped and filled up the tank, 13+ gallons. Now, the gauge is completely pegged to the right side and not moving at all.

My thought is that the float is sticking and if I have to tear into things for that, it's time for a new fuel pump (118K on the factory original...) and a trap door.

Anything else I can check before firing up the dremmel?
    Suggestions on what brand of fuel pump/where to get it?
    My car is pretty much mechanically stock with the normal bolt-ons.
    No plans in the near future to change that.

Thanks.
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

my bet would be the fuel level sender is failing. It usually happens when a car is stored with less than a full tank.

Comment

So that is a separate piece from the fuel pump correct but still located inside the tank?

Anyone have experience with Racetronix?
      http://www.racetronix.com/RX-FLT1-FPKG-2.html
      My DD
      2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
        So that is a separate piece from the fuel pump correct but still located inside the tank?
        The sending unit is attached to the hanger assembly. it's a variable resistor that sends a singnal to the gauge depending on where the position of the float arm sits. Sometimes you can clean the contacts and get it funtional again.

It is possible the arm got stuck, but when you pull the hanger assembly you'll find out. in the pic, you can see where the arm attaches to the sending unit at the base of the hanger assembly. Perhaps a good cleaning with a file is all that might be needed to make it functional again. It's even possible the float arm simply got stuck. One way to tell....... hatch time.

Comment

Be on the safe side; keep the tank full.

Comment

Working...
          X