My Camaro rides like crap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Camaro rides like crap

I guess I really never realized it until I got a Corvette. I just assumed because it was a sportyer car it had to ride that way.

It's really bad. It will bottom out occasionally on this one particular bump near my house that my other cars, including the Vette can go over at a faster speed and still feel good. It literally feels like the suspension is getting ripped out from under the car.

I've noticed the car sits low in the rear. Perhaps I have bad springs in back?

I'm thinking maybe it's time to replace the shocks and springs all the way around. I've got 1LE anti-sway bars on it. What would be good springs that would be a compromise of performance and ride quality? And what shocks would best match them?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

I'll bet Sam Strano would have somethng to satisfy you. Call and discuss what you want from your suspension.

http://www.stranoparts.com/
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Mine used to ride like crap on the oem stuff, I switched everything out with edlebrock ias shocks, I really like the ride firm but responds well to abrupt changes. How are all of your suspension joints/bushings? Some of them can have a pretty big effect on ride quality...
      -Alex
      1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
      ZO6 wheels (clones)
      LED exterior and interior lighting
      With questionable guts:
      Forged bottom end
      free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
      pacesetter longtubes
      T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
      Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
      K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
      96? ws6 hood
      96? ws6 spoiler
      full emissions delete
      polished heads with oversize valve job
      Edelbrock IAS shocks
      Full tubular Chassis minus k member
      Daily Driver and love it that way
      Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Mine didn't ride too bad, but I had stock springs from 1994. I never realized how much it sagged since I put Moog stock replacements in. It's almost 2" higher than before. It looks really high, but the old ones were so low, that it looked lowered before. So I think it's time for you to replace the springs and shocks!

The QA1 shocks are awesome because they're adjustable. I use setting 2-3 and the ride is nice. The Billsteins are also good, but heard that the rears have terrible settings. The Strano revalved ones are supposed to be good. If you can do both springs and shocks at once, then I'd say it's worth it?
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
          I'll bet Sam Strano would have somethng to satisfy you. Call and discuss what you want from your suspension.

http://www.stranoparts.com/

Another vote for Sam.
          Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

Given the major differences between the Corvette's sophisticated, fully independant rear suspension, and the 4th Gen F-Body's crude solid rear axle, there is going to be a significant difference in the way they respond to harsh and uneven roads. A bump on one side of the solid axle affects boths side. It won't do that to the Corvette's IRS.

Not to say you shouldn't closely inspect the condition of your going on 17-year old vehicle, and look for opportunities to upgrade. Just recognize that they are never going to feel the same.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

To add - don't forget how important tires are in the equation. I was amazed at how different my car felt by simply changing out tires. Even though a 40 series tire has a short sidewall, it does provide a substantial amount of "road feel" which can change the dynamics of the car.

With the setup I have below (thanks go out to Sam Strano), my car rides far better than it did when it rolled of the assembly line. However, it will never feel like a C5/C6 Corvette - buts that's fine, it's not supposed to.
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I'll give Sam a call once I get come $$ set aside for it.

Thanks for the direction.

It's really bad though. I'm sure it needs shocks, springs and tires. I also have 1/2" of play in the steering wheel. I'm not sure if the play is in the rag joint or the rack.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Shocks made the single greatest improvement to the handling of my car - without a doubt. The DeCarbons were crap brand new. Forget about them after a few years or 50K. I had the WS6 shocks, which had slightly different compression than normal V8 shocks. But even they were awful compared to the Konis.
                  Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                  Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
                  X