Cheap Opti!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Opti!

Just wanted to let everyone know I found a place that you can get a brand new opti for $69.50 shipped! The company is very professional, and very prompt. I called them Sunday and left a message. They called me back very early Monday morning to answer my questions. I ordered it Monday (they are based in Tennessee), and it was shipped very same day, and I just got it today (Wednesday). The opti is the full unit and brand new. Here is a link to it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=350387336759

They have more GM parts as well, and have a local, and toll free phone number that you can call. Very professional business!
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Be afraid, be very afraid!
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
      Be afraid, be very afraid!
      I'm not afraid, because all I'm using it for is to get it running so I can sell it. I'll post results.
      '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Then, the buyer should be afraid/beware.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Yikes. After seeing the horror stories about many of the sparts store optisparks, I can't imagine this would be any better. Before you install it, I would open it up and inspect the internals. You will likely find things like a bent optical wheel and/or rough bearings. Check it over completely because of the PITA install, you don't want to be doing it twice for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
            Then, the buyer should be afraid/beware.
            Agreed! ^^

Why would you make a problem for someone else, Aaron?
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Given the track record of what are typically shoddy Chinese-made rip-offs, it may not even last long enough to "get it running".......

Good for the Chinese economy and their trade balance though,.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

From the looks of it, I'd give these guys a try:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/sponso...ws-praise.html
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I got away using one for a little whel when money was scarce... Lasted about 3 months or so (about 30 driving hours), rotor self-disintegrated and cut up the entire cap from the inside.

Like everyone else is saying, beware.
                  I will never again waste the installation time on knock-off parts,
                  If the phrase 'you get what you pay for" means anything in the world, it definitely applies in the strongest to auto parts.
                  -Alex
                  1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                  ZO6 wheels (clones)
                  LED exterior and interior lighting
                  With questionable guts:
                  Forged bottom end
                  free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                  pacesetter longtubes
                  T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                  Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                  K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                  96? ws6 hood
                  96? ws6 spoiler
                  full emissions delete
                  polished heads with oversize valve job
                  Edelbrock IAS shocks
                  Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                  Daily Driver and love it that way
                  Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Just be aware - there are no OEM Optis left on the market. Be very careful if someone tries to tell you otherwise, as even the PartsLadi admitted they no longer had any left.

99.99% of the Optis being sold today are aftermarket. GM/Delco stopped making these many years ago. Remember - LT1s haven't been produced in almost 15 years.
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Are you sure? Places like Pace Parts (GM Performance Parts dealer) claim to have GM parts (AC Delco/Delphi).

thepartsladi went out of business and screwed over a lot of people. I wouldn't consider that a reliable source of info.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Gonna go with Fred on this. Summit has them as well, along with a local AC Delco parts shop.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-10457702/

***EDIT***

As does Amazon (go figure).

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-104577.../dp/B000EQL0PO

***EDIT 2***

Aww, heck. Lets be good and support our Site Vendors. Thunder Racing sells them as well. Of course, for the price of the new ones, maybe an MSD or Dynaspark unit is a good consideration.

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by.../Distributors/
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I'm not totally sure...could be right. I had assumed the thepartsladi was honest with me, but then again??

Odd about Pace Parts. When I was shopping for a new Opti 2 years ago, they told me the same thing - no more originals left. All were being made by others now.

Besides, not sure why everyone cares. Yeah, there are a few bad replacement Optis out there, but there are just as many bad GM ones. My buddy worked for Pontiac all through the 90's. The shop only used OEM, but even he said once in a while, they got a bad Opti. Most of the time, they would fail soon after they were installed.

I bought a Canadian made Opti from an online shop that offers lifetime warranties. So far, so good. Been in the car for almost 2 years now, and I paid less than $125.
                          Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

What about the msd pro billet, as Z mentioned?
                            Obviously, it isnt oem, but it would seem they have it figured out pretty well.. The optical sensor was redesigned with a more fail proof sensor unit, along with the sensor wheel being replaced with a new design, and a more durable rotor assembly as well.

I haven't used one, as they are very expensive compared to the summit or jegs options. At the very least, all three companies give a good warranty on their products.

The opti has always felt like the biggest crap shoot in GM parts, oem units fail out of nowhere, as do many others.
                            I guess another option is eliminating the rotor system and getting coil packs with a kit like the ltcc?
                            -Alex
                            1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                            ZO6 wheels (clones)
                            LED exterior and interior lighting
                            With questionable guts:
                            Forged bottom end
                            free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                            pacesetter longtubes
                            T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                            Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                            K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                            96? ws6 hood
                            96? ws6 spoiler
                            full emissions delete
                            polished heads with oversize valve job
                            Edelbrock IAS shocks
                            Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                            Daily Driver and love it that way
                            Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Based on a significant amount of feedback on CZ28.com the MSD provides no better service than the OEM part, and has some problems of its own. MSD has had to make numerous design revisions over the years, and still doesn't seem to have it right. The "adjustable timing" is more of a liability than a genuine asset. There is no true "0" point. You have no idea if it is timed correctly, other than MSD saying it was set at "0" when it left the factory. And there is no real use for the adjustable timing, unless you are attempting to advance or retard the cam and need to bring the Opti back into correspondence with TDC.

Both the MSD and the OEM parts suffer from the rotor screws falling out. It is advisable to Loc-Tite the rotor screws in both units before installation.

Based on feedback, the OEM part is more reliable than the other aftermarket sources like Accel, Summit, various parts stores, etc.

thepartsladi was selling genuine GM parts. They sold many other parts. They didn't go out of business because couldn't get the GM parts.... they appear to have gone out of business through poor business practices.
                              Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X