Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header EGR leak

Hey guys,

So i've been trying to get my pacesetter headers to seal for the past couple of weeks (on second set of gaskets). I noticed that the EGR tube was leaking like crazy where it attaches to the header from the upper portion of the tube (opposite side of the bolt). The gasket pacesetter supplied was rock hard and broke into pieces as soon as I removed it.

How can I get this to seal properly, and where can I find another gasket for it? I can't seem to find one online anywhere. I'm hoping that if I get a new gasket, put some high temp RTV on it, and tighten it real good that it will seal up.....Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

I removed all the EGR stuff, blanked off the holes with plates and plugs. I occasionally get a the SES lite, but I understand that can be programed out.
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Right now that isn't an option for me...I should have gotten non-emission headers, but unfortunately made the wrong decision and got emissions. I dont want to block off the AIR/EGR as of right now (may in the future). Any idea how to get the EGR to seal?
      Mods:
      "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
      Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Crane 1.5rrs
      Comp high tech pushrods
      SLP Loudmouth II
      SLP Cold air intake
      UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

The stock connection doesn't have a gasket, so you aren't going to find one. Try some high temp, sensor safe RTV.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for letting me know injuneer...I've been trying to remember all day if there was one or not. How does the stock manifold seal without a gasket?

Its going to be interesting putting RTV on there...There is such little room to work. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and keep you guys up to date!

Anybody else have this problem?
          Mods:
          "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
          Pro 5.0 Shifter
          Crane 1.5rrs
          Comp high tech pushrods
          SLP Loudmouth II
          SLP Cold air intake
          UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

If you are talking about here:

hi-temp RTV will work fine. I kept my EGR and AIR systems intact, but hooked them up in a different way.
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I'm talking about the EGR flange coming off the rear of the passengers side header....but man, i'm jealous of your AIR setup. My headers came with Male (external) threads that take all of my strength to get the AIR fittings on....Hope I never have to take them off
              Mods:
              "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
              Pro 5.0 Shifter
              Crane 1.5rrs
              Comp high tech pushrods
              SLP Loudmouth II
              SLP Cold air intake
              UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

The end of the tube projects from the flange and inserts in the opening in the exhaust manifold. I guess that helps seal it. But there is no gasket.

EGR, not AIR.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Ahhh...now I remember. Yes, I used RTV to "improve" the seal. I left it loose for and for 6 months, couldn't figure out where this "popping" noise was coming from.
                  Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                  Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
                  X