Witch tires to get

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witch tires to get

I have a 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 auto 5.7 . The tires that came on the truck new were P235/75R15 it now has P265/70R15. I will be needing tires soon and like the ride very much. I was told that if I go back to the 235"s I will lose the ride. I do not know crap about tires. But I want to keep the nice ride so what tires should I go with. I am in Georgia so no snow or ice. I am just looking for size right now. Thanks

It sounds like the original tires were light truck tires, LT- in that size- probably a higher load range, and a stiffer ride. By rights, your current tire with the lower-aspect sidewall, 70-series versus 75-series, should ride a little more firmly, but I am guessing that the tire you have now is a passenger car tire, and a little softer.

If you don't need weight handling, probably a passenger car tire will ride better and quieter. Try going on tire rack and reading the reviews from some tires that you are interested in- I have good luck with Firestone tires, and if cost is no object, Michelin are supposed to be nice too. Goodyear makes a good tire, but you pay a lot for the name.
    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I had great results on my Crew Cab with Coopers. Good tread life, good ride and reasonable price.

Comment

the firestone destinations are a pretty good tire, either in the a/t or l/e tread
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Thanks for the help. But for now I am only looking for size.

Comment

I've found the differences in brand/model with regards to ride to be more significant than the size. My (work provided) F150 4+4 had Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's (265/70-17) on it and rode and handled very well. I tried to get the same tires (sightly newer version - Revo 2 - with excellent online reviews) and it was too expensive for the guy that runs our maintenance shop. He put the same size BFG Long Trail T/A's on it because they were a lot cheaper, and the ride and handling suffered immensely. It skitters over bumps and rough roads, rides harsher, wanders a lot - overall poor tire selection, just to save $200.

Originally posted by Wild Willy
            It sounds like the original tires were light truck tires, LT- in that size- probably a higher load range, and a stiffer ride. By rights, your current tire with the lower-aspect sidewall, 70-series versus 75-series, should ride a little more firmly......
            But the 265/70 actually has a taller sidewall (7.5") than the 235/75 (6.9") so its got more room for flex. And doesn't the "P" at the front of the size designate a passenger/metric tire?
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i think P means passenger and the LT means light truck with the three load ranges (C, D, E)

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Thanks guy's now I am really confused. Where is Ken when you really need him. Once guys retire you can't count on them LOL just ask me. Well I do not need them just yet so I will have to do some more home work on tires. It now has Capitol roadian HT 110S M+S P265/70R15 I have never heard of them. I guess I will have to Google them. Oh well I am retired so I guess I have time.

Comment

yea thats not a really truck tire, means you weight capacity is down but ride is better, where as a load rance c tire has a stiffer sideway, it would be marked i.e LT265/70R15 102S Load Range C

Comment

on a 1500 I'd stick to a P-metric tire...a LT would be a bit much, because they are heavier and rougher ride if you don't need a tire that can carry heavy loads.

If it was up to me...General Grabber HTS. Smooth and comfortable with a 60K mileage warranty. Priced very well. Or BFGoodrich Long Trail TA Tour. Very quiet and comfortable also...with a 60K warranty.

If pockets are deep...Michelin LTX M/S2s. Amazing tire...but very pricey.

Check out the features and benefits and customer reviews.

www.discounttire.com

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                    X