Water Pump Fitting Leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump Fitting Leak

OK guys here's a good one. My water pump has developed a leak right where the heater hose fitting connects to the water pump. Seems like I remember a post for this but I searched and couldn't find it. The fitting is leaking right where it mates up to the pump. Anyone have an innovative fix for this other than a new water pump? I circled the leaking fitting in the pic below. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: I got the fitting out of the pump and there's a tiny hole in the bottom of the fitting. How the heck a hole works it's way into a non-wear part is beyond me. Anyway, I'm thinking of tapping out the hole where the fitting was and screwing in a nipple. Thoughts?

Edit #2: Got the pump out and the bearings are marginal at best. So, looks like a new water pump is in my future. Thanks for allowing me to think this out aloud, lol. Maybe that tiny hole was a godsend, saved the pump from spilling all over the opti.
    Here's a pic of the hole, sorry about the quality but, wth? How does this happen?
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

It's possible the metal was thin at that point. Corrosion, heat and pressure probably just took it's toll on the fitting. I would also suggest a modification to the new pump. Screw a small elbow fitting into the weep hole and add a 8" length of tubing to route it around the optispark. This way if the pump starts to leak via the weep hole, the drainage gets diverted away from the distributer.

Comment

Thanks Joe, I did do the weep hole mod. I should have known something was up, the temp has always run pretty much spot on, it's been creeping up a little lately. We are back on the road and good to go. Thanks again.
      Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Working...
      X