sludge in aintifreeze

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sludge in aintifreeze

I've got a 2000 Firebird and checked the antifreeze and there was sludge on the dipstick. Anyone know what would cause that?

You need to determine if it's just some high viscosity stuff that built up in your cooling system, or if the sludge is actually from oil coming through the block somewhere. If you have dexcool, it could be that. Some guys swear by it, I'm not one of them.
    -Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

my guess is the dex-cool since 95% of the time that is the problems, you need to flush the system really well and refill it with the proper ratio(i do a 50/50 mix) its up to you if u want to go to green or dex cool
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

When was the last time the system was flushed, and the coolant replaced? This is a required maintenance item.

Is it possible someone has added conventional (green) ethylene glycol coolant to the Dex-Cool (orange) extended life ethylene glycol that your car left the factory with?

Is it possible the system is not being kept full, and there is air in the system?
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

If it looks like brownish-black "snot", then it's most likely the leak-stop pills added to the Dexcool. While it does look nasty, it won't harm anything.

I believe the preferred "pills" were made by Bar's Leaks as seen below:

http://www.barsproducts.com/PLT11.htm

I've used Dexcool in all of my cars since 95. Yes, you'll find reports of people who hate the stuff. Personally, I've never had any issues. After my latest rebuild, I did quite a bit of custom hose routing. I had a very tiny trickle of coolant coming from somewhere on the front of the engine. After weeks of trying to find it (it would never be visible on the ground, but I could smell it every so often) I threw in a bottle of the GM recommended pills, and it stopped the issue completely. However, I know I'll probably see the black goop on my dipstick in the future, as it gels when exposed to air.

I do my own powerflush every 4-5 years, and never have any cooling issues due to the leak stop.

Feel the "sludge". If it's almost rubbery, then it's the pills. However, it should not be tar-like or oily. If it is, it's oil getting into the coolant. The same thing with foam, or as we call it in the petroleum industry, mousse. When oil absorbs water, it looks very much like chocolate mousse. If it's this stuff, you have an oil leak somewhere.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
          X