Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Slip problem?

Hey guys,

I got home from my second time at the track yesterday and I'm alittle nervous about what I found. The passengers side wheel well/fender on my car has a lot more rubber on it (from burn outs) than the drivers side. It felt normal at the track doing a burnout....Do you think the clutches in the limited slip are getting worn out and the one tire is spinning faster than the other??
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

I should also add that I just installed a TA performance rear end differential cover with the stud kit. I used Redline gear oil and added the GM limited slip additive. Could this oil be the problem? The first time I went to the track it seemed as if there was the same amount of rubber on both fenders (I dont know if this is a great way to judge this, but it really seems as if one tire was burning alot more than the other by the looks of it)
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

Comment

Could be various things - more traction on one side due to track conditions, tire differences, etc.

Or, which is probably the case if you have the original Auburn LSD, the clutch packs are showing their age and slipping. The oil and diff. cover are not the issue.

One of the main reasons I ditched my Auburn for a Torsen was to prevent what you are describing. The only true way to prevent this from occurring is a spool. Unless you are competitively drag racing, don't worry about it. You could be giving up a tenth or two, but if it's not completely dead, then it's no big deal. But, if you notice only one wheel is turning, then you're in need of a new diff.
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
      X