Loose rubber seal on air filter box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose rubber seal on air filter box

Was taking the K&N filter out of the ram air filter box to clean it. Noticed that the square rubber seal on top is loose on 3 of the 4 sides.

Looking for a good suggestion on re-attaching that doesn't break down quickly.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Not sure which rubber you mean. The rubber that seals to the hood when it's closed, or the foam inside the air box that seals the top half to the bottom?

If you men the foam, I used generic foam from Home Depot to replace the worn out stuff supplied with the K&N. I ditched my K&N though when I went to the Accel Blue filter (for looks really). It seals better than the K&N did because the surround is more malleable.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

If you are looking for an adhesive to glue it, get 3m weatherstip adhesive (the black stuff, not the yellow).

Comment

It's the seal towards the hood. All the glue is dried up on the rubber seal where as the air box is clean and no residue.

Thanks Joe for the recommendation.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

To the OP;
          If yore asking about the large ram style k&n mine has been the same way for years, zero problems here. I'm guessing you're worried that it might bend inward too much? From experience yea the 3m tape does it, but the 'bending' is really inconsiquential in the first place as long as your incoming airstream is filtered. Plus, the damn thing is expensive to replace.
          -Alex
          1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
          ZO6 wheels (clones)
          LED exterior and interior lighting
          With questionable guts:
          Forged bottom end
          free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
          pacesetter longtubes
          T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
          Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
          K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
          96? ws6 hood
          96? ws6 spoiler
          full emissions delete
          polished heads with oversize valve job
          Edelbrock IAS shocks
          Full tubular Chassis minus k member
          Daily Driver and love it that way
          Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Yeah I know it's pretty much staying in place once you close the hood. While it's still attached at the front part, I hate for it to come loose all the way.

Bought the 3M glue today and will fix it this week once it warms up a little in the garage. Towards the end of the week we are supposed to have a heat wave of 50+ deg.

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
            X