X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES Code help needed

Hope someone here can help with figuring out what these mean
    P0141, P0161 - O2 sensor heater circuit, bank 1&2
    P0410, P0412, P0418 - secondary air injector system/valve/realy A malfuntion.

What does this mean?

What needs replacement?

Thanks, Paul

Hint: if your trouble code definitions reference a circuit problem (open), and not a high/low condition, it's a problem of continuity. Check your O2 harnesses for burnt or sheared wires, assuming all of your connectors are in good shape. With the AIR system, check your air relay in the underhood fuse box by swigging it with a known problem free relay, if that doesn't solve your air problem, check the air pump with a multimeter, the part is not much more than an electric motor inside. Have you done anything to the vehicle wince this happened or...?
    -Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Where is the O2 sensor located?

I was just driving the car when the SES light came on.

The car does not seem to be effected, so I hope this is minor.

Also, where is the air pump located?

Thanks for your help, Paul

Comment

Paul,
        The message board has been having some issues and alot of us have been having trouble accessing it.
        It may be a few days until all of the really really big brains can get on and properly answer your question. Hang in there.

In the meantime, check out Shoebox's website.
        It contains a wealth of knowledge including:
        a description of ODBI and ODBII error codes, the location of the o2 sensors, and the location of the AIR pump.
        Note that the diagrams are from a 1995 vehicle but most things are similar or identical.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Paul,

First off, what car is this?
          what year?
          what engine?

There's nothing in your profile that I can see that would tell us.

One question for you:
          With the engine just started (cold start) does the ses light come on, and if it does, do you hear the fans running (even though the engine is still cold)?
          '94 Firebird Formula, Lt1, 6 speed, all stock

Comment

I just sent a response via e-mail to your two Private Messages.

P0141 and P0161 Are set when the after-cat O2 sensors don't heat up fast enough. It's not an electrical problem. There are other codes for a problem with the electrical circuits, like a blown fuse, so that's not likely to be the problem. I would check the fuse anyway. Do you have the stock exhaust, or aftermarket headers? Headers sometimes causes issues with the after-cat sensors.

P0410 indicates that when the PCM turns on the AIR pump, and looks at the pre-cat O2 sensors, it doesn't see any increased air flow, which would be indicated by a lean reading from the O2 sensors. Coupled with the next two codes:
            P0412 = A malfunction of the air injection solenoid electrical circuit.
            P0418 = A malfunction of the air injection relay electrical circuit.

Both of those usually point to a blown fuse.

Check your Owner's Manual for the location of each of the above fuses. If you don't have a manual, go to Shoebox's online manuals:

http://shbox.com/pdf/manuals.html
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by formula_gramps
              Paul,

First off, what car is this?
              what year?
              what engine?

There's nothing in your profile that I can see that would tell us.

I second this! If you did headers or ORY, you need O2 SIMS. Not sure if this is your case though
              My toys...
              the Garage Queen - 2002 UltraZ Camaro
              The DD- 1998 T/A WS6 clone with LS6 top end
              The Long project - 1985 Z28 383 POWER 10sec 1/4
              The off road toy - 1988 1500 Sierra 4x4

Comment

Working...
              X