Non-fbody WT.!!! spark plug problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-fbody WT.!!! spark plug problem

So, I have a 2.4L Mitsubishi engine in my Stratus Coupe. I waited too long to change the plugs and one backed out on me(found out this is common with Japanese engines), and damaged the top two or three threads. I ran a chaser through it and it threaded fine. I tried to thread a new plug and it did not work. Ok, so I scored an old plug four ways and tried…nope. As a last resort, I ran a tap through with no problem. The stupid plug still won’t even start on the threads. WTH Yes, I used the right size. Anyhow, any advise besides target practice with my AK?
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Are those aluminum heads? Sounds like the damaged threads you're talking about need a few more passes with the tap, if you're ok with a few pieces of metal getting in the cylinder. Try using just the end of the next largest tap with the same thread pitch, and try not to go over the undamaged part of the thread. This method saved me from a few drill and tap jobs in the past.
    -Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by FTA1995
      Are those aluminum heads? Sounds like the damaged threads you're talking about need a few more passes with the tap, if you're ok with a few pieces of metal getting in the cylinder. Try using just the end of the next largest tap with the same thread pitch, and try not to go over the undamaged part of the thread. This method saved me from a few drill and tap jobs in the past.
      The heads are aluminum so I am not too nervous about the shavings....they should blow out. I ran the tap several times. I will try the next size up on the first two or three threads and see what happens. Stupid Car!!!
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I wouldn't do that. If the proper size thread chaser didn't fix the hole for the plug you are trying to use, get a friend to give you a second opinion because you are missing something. A tap, even of the right size, will start to wreck the spark plug hole, stick with thread chasers unless you don't care about possibly ruining the hole..Get a new chaser if your old one is worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
          The heads are aluminum so I am not too nervous about the shavings....they should blow out. I ran the tap several times. I will try the next size up on the first two or three threads and see what happens. Stupid Car!!!
          Run a tap thru it and have someone vacuum the same time... i don't know if using teflon tape would help on the threads.. but alum. heads, you might have to take the head to the machine shop or just find a used head..?
          My toys...
          the Garage Queen - 2002 UltraZ Camaro
          The DD- 1998 T/A WS6 clone with LS6 top end
          The Long project - 1985 Z28 383 POWER 10sec 1/4
          The off road toy - 1988 1500 Sierra 4x4

Comment

Working...
          X