Firebird "flip open" headlights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebird "flip open" headlights

One of the headlights on my '98 Bird refuses to open. No noise, just nothing. But the lights are on.

I've already had one motor replaced. That motor did not have a replaceable gear (though the gear did not seem to be the problem).

My question: Assuming that the motor needs to be replaced, can a motor with a replaceable gear as used on Corvettes with similar "flip open" lights be used?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

I havent personally worked on them, but I know some change the gears, sometimes can be flipped as they wear on one side, some even change with brass gears...maybe someone with more knowledge will post.
    Al
    Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

The only way ou would need to do some gear work when they aren't moving or making any noise would be a completely jammed situation where either the worm or ring would be so mangled you would probably need a new assembly. Try cranking the grey knob a few turns open with them on, then turn them off and on again, sometimes my driver side light pulls the arm too far down and gets stuck, I have to 'reset' it every other 6 months or more. Doesn't make any noise when this happens too. All of these are assuming you are getting power to the unit properly, check that with a test light.
      -Alex
      1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
      ZO6 wheels (clones)
      LED exterior and interior lighting
      With questionable guts:
      Forged bottom end
      free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
      pacesetter longtubes
      T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
      Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
      K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
      96? ws6 hood
      96? ws6 spoiler
      full emissions delete
      polished heads with oversize valve job
      Edelbrock IAS shocks
      Full tubular Chassis minus k member
      Daily Driver and love it that way
      Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington

I've already had one motor replaced. That motor did not have a replaceable gear (though the gear did not seem to be the problem).

My question: Assuming that the motor needs to be replaced, can a motor with a replaceable gear as used on Corvettes with similar "flip open" lights be used?
        The gears are always replaceable, you just need to get the assembly back together again with epoxy. I rarely see one let alone two flip up motors(not gears) go bad on a single vehicle, anything from saturns to corvettes
        -Alex
        ZO6 wheels (clones)
        With questionable guts:
        Forged bottom end
        pacesetter longtubes
        K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
        96? ws6 hood
        96? ws6 spoiler
        full emissions delete
        Edelbrock IAS shocks

Comment

As FTA1995 mentioned try to manually raise the light. It sometimes helped to "reset" it and work again for a while. Sometimes unplugging and plugging the motor back in helped also.

Also as said the gears are easily replaced on the motor if the 180 degree fix has already been performed.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...earinstall.htm
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Very helpful.
            R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

The saga continues . . .

Made arrangements to have the motor replaced. Went out this morning to take the car in, started the engine and -- just to make sure -- turned on the headlights.

Both sets of lights flipped open.

Okay, not a motor problem.

Took it in anyway to have it checked out.

Got it back this evening. There was some corrosion on the wires to the lights themselves, but no corrosion on the wires to the motor itself. The shop checked out the control unit to make sure everything was okay there.

A fluke? A developing problem? Don't know, but everything seems to be working.

Thanks for the help, folks.
              R.i.K.

Comment

Welcome to the world of electrical gremlins, just wait until you have a tail light ground go out -_-
                -Alex
                ZO6 wheels (clones)
                With questionable guts:
                Forged bottom end
                pacesetter longtubes
                K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                96? ws6 hood
                96? ws6 spoiler
                full emissions delete
                Edelbrock IAS shocks

Comment

flip open headlight repair

Repaired both of mine, 1989 formula, for $10.00. There are actually 3 plastic bushing that will need replacing. Found them and a very well written how to on ebay back in 2007 Here is the address of the guy reinhart@lafn.org subject: 87-92 Pontiac Firebird Headlight Motor Repair Kit(2set) (250072898514)

Comment

Headlight motor bushing

Still on ebay I used the guy from Fountain Valley CA Very well written instructions

Comment

Sounds more like a problem with the headlight door control module.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                      X