Turbo or Super ?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo or Super ?????

Just wanted to get some input to what you guys think because it seems that most of you know these cars inside out, and since im a f-body rookie ....... yea u get the picture Besides this stuff is always fun to talk about.
    -Nick-
    95 A4 Z28

let me be the first to say that i like superchargers better than turbos. i agree that turbos are more efficient, but i like blowers better (also over cetrifugal chargers) because of the sound and i like to leave turbos for 4's and ricers. if you want your car to look and sound stock (stock hood, no whine) then go with turbo, but if you want it to sound bad-ass, get a blower. both have their ups and downs as far as ease of installation. just do what you prefer, but im still going to put a blower on my car one of these days.
    86 Camaro (350)
    79 Blazer (FI 350)
    98 Buick Riviera (S/C)
    96 Grand Prix (Sp. Ed.)

Comment

ive kinda been partial to supercharges also, my dad had one on his svt lightning until we tood it off and droped in a 460 !! but every one i know keeps teling me that turbo is much beter . but the ony problem i can see with superchargers is that i know of a few cases in which warped valves became a problem but i guess if you put in titanium ones they should last longer ???
      -Nick-
      95 A4 Z28

Comment

well yeah i think superchargers are better and i know there a lil cheaper 2 id have to say some of the best superchargers whould be vortech and u could get one for around 3g's(decent psi), it just goes up from there $ and psi on different deals

Comment

i wouldnt say that superchargers are cheaper exactly. you can easily find turbos in junkyards off of saabs and volvos and dodge daytonas and other cars (most will have t3's). it costs about 300 dollars to rebuild one or you can try it as is. if you go this route (small turbo) you will probably want to run dual turbos. the most expensive part is the manifold and piping and other stuff. you could probably do it for about the same as the vortec kit you mentioned, if "cheap" is the way you want to go. turboed engines probably have more problems than what was mentioned about the supercharger earlier
          86 Camaro (350)
          79 Blazer (FI 350)
          98 Buick Riviera (S/C)
          96 Grand Prix (Sp. Ed.)

Comment

I am probably going to stick out like a sore thumb, but I'm going with the turbo. I've had both but really prefer being able to instantly adjust the boost rather than having to change pulleys. I also prefer not having an additional drive load on the crank. I suppose having a GN sways my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by pwmin
              if you want your car to look and sound stock (stock hood, no whine) then go with turbo, but if you want it to sound bad-ass, get a blower.
              A high boost turbo has a super aggressive whistle that sounds anything but stock. I prefer the sound of a turbo's whistle over the wine of a supercharger anyday... but... I am going to end up supercharging my car when the day comes to go to forced induction.
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

what do you guyz think wud be better for my auto 95 z28 ??
                -Nick-
                95 A4 Z28

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  I am probably going to stick out like a sore thumb, but I'm going with the turbo. I've had both but really prefer being able to instantly adjust the boost rather than having to change pulleys. I also prefer not having an additional drive load on the crank. I suppose having a GN sways my opinion.
                  Have to agree with there. And loosing almost 50% in power losses helps pick a turbo over a blower.

Me and my two pennies in my ricer 6cyl
                  Rob
                  04 GTO

Comment

With a supercharger you get the power all the time whether at 1,500 or 5,000 rpms but with a turbo you'll get more power once you have it spooling. I'd personally go with a turbo cause our cars already have enough power to spin the wheels off the line so why do you need more power down low? Once your heading down the strip and out of 1st your probably never gonna drop below 3,000 rpms so you'll keep it spooling. So you'll probably be faster with a turbo but thats just my opinion.
                    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

my view is to let the ricers have their turbos and leave superchargers to the muscle cars. there's just something magi al about having a big blower coming through you hood
                      86 Camaro (350)
                      79 Blazer (FI 350)
                      98 Buick Riviera (S/C)
                      96 Grand Prix (Sp. Ed.)

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with Joe. As a fellow GN owner, that turbo just sounds too cool to put down. As for those that say the spool time hurts you...try putting one on a H.O. V6 or a V8...lag will be very little. There's no lose in belt power, cheap to rebuild and easy to upgrade. ATR sells some H.O. turbos also that would be great to use. IF, and this is a big if, I decide to do forced induction on my Z, I would go with a turbo setup. Plus, if you decide one turbo isn't enough...you can always give it a buddy Just a thought.
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I see both sides of this arguement. Nothing gets the juices flowing like a ROOTS blower. Turbos are great fun and more practical for the street.

But, for complete shock value, Nitrous is the way to go.

An average CENTRIFICAL blower is $3k. You could put Nitrous on a car for $1k easy and that leaves $2k for 4.11's, long tube Headers, and maybe an LT4 head kit.

96 TA Sold!
                          87 TA Sold!
                          80 Z28 Sold!
                          74 Formula Sold!
                          73 Z28 Sold!
                          69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Decisions Decisions ...
                            -Nick-
                            95 A4 Z28

Comment

Both the turbos and superchargers have their advantages. It all depends on what you want to use the car for. For me I had a twin turbo set up installed. Since the turbos are small they spool quickly. I have over 400 lb ft of torque before I hit 3000 rpm. It is just amazing!

Comment

Working...
                              X