Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise in '98 Trans Am

Now, this is really strange.

This noise only happens when the car is in motion. It is a rotational sound -- not very loud -- that increases as the speed of the car increases. I cannot determine from what direction the sound is coming.

It sounds very similar to the sound a fraying speedometer cable would make. Sound continues if coasting in neutral. Sound continues regardless of engine speed. Only affected by the speed of the car.

The operation of the car is unaffected. No change in idle, no change in acceleration. Everything seems normal except for the sound.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

tire noise? Put it up in the air and see if it still makes the noise.

Comment

check your tires, or wheel bearings, lift the car up securely, spin the wheel and listen to the center of the wheel, should be no noise, also check the backing plates, something might of gotten stuck between them adn the rotor
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Thanks, guys.
        R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

wheel bearings or axle bearings... i had to replace mine a while back... it made a humming noise, but i could tell it was coming from the rear
          My toys...
          the Garage Queen - 2002 UltraZ Camaro
          The DD- 1998 T/A WS6 clone with LS6 top end
          The Long project - 1985 Z28 383 POWER 10sec 1/4
          The off road toy - 1988 1500 Sierra 4x4

Comment

Not wheel bearings and not axle bearings but instead . . .

Remember when you were a kid (or maybe you still are) how you would but a playing card on your bicycle so it would make a "motor" sound?

Pretty cool, huh?

Well, the sound finally drove me to distraction and I took the car to the repair shop fearing the worst (bearings, calipers, rotors).

Uh-uh.

The mechanics were stumped until they looked real close and saw . . .

a black plastic cable tie that had lodged itself near the rear of the driveshaft so that with each turn, it "clicked" against the underside of the car.

Cable tie removed, sound disappeared.

Charge: $43.

Expensive cable tie.

Funny story.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
            R.i.K.

Comment

better then a $300 rear end rebuild!

the worst noises always are the result of something silly or stupid that we over look
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
              X