Hard to start after 10+ days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to start after 10+ days

Went overseas early December and left my TA at the airport in the parking garage for 10 days. When I came back the engined cranked fine (good battery) but would not start until I cranked for almost 30 seconds total. Ever since it started fine every day or after a weekend.

After the x-mas Holidays, over 10 days sitting in the garage with the lowest temp maybe 50 deg. at some nights, it did the same thing. I had to crank for a long time and eventually it started. Tonight after work just started fine again.

Anybody has an idea what could cause this or what I should check?
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

I'm by no means an expert, but if it's cranking strong, the first thing that comes to mind is a leaky injector. When it starts, is there any smoke (white or black) present in the exhaust?

Leaking injectors cause a flooded condition to exist in the cylinder(s).

Also, do you store the car with a full tank of gas? If the tank is low, condensation can and will build up in the tank causing water to form in the gas. This can also cause issues. If the car is filled with summer gas, it contains additives that cause it to volatilize at a different rate than winter mix gas. Something else to consider.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Thanks for your response.

I have not noticed any abnormal amount of smoke in the kind of situation but then I did not look for it either.

To clarify, the car is not stored it's most of the time my daily driver. It just happens twice that it sat for more than 10 days at the airport or at home.

How can one check if there's a leak on the injectors and pinpoint which one it is?
      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

next time it sits for a while, turn the key on for a few seconds then back off a few times before starting, this would "prime" the fuel system. if it fires right away after doing that, then the fuel pump has a bad check valve. its not a major issue, my brothers jeep has the same issue(except his does it every day) he does this every morning for the past 3 years. i wouldnt be too concerned if it drives the same, i dont think theres many fuel injection systems that can hold normal pressure for a extended period of time without some time of pressure drop when not running
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to verify a leaking injector is to put it on a flow bench.

Odds are, if your injectors are original, they are leaking. It's one of the things on my "to do" list as mine are probably worn out after 16 years.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

This morning I tried to start it and it would take about 10 seconds of cranking until it fired.

This was only after it sitting there for two nights in the garage.

It looked like some heavier white smoke but then it also was cool with only around 30 deg out there.

If everything worked just fine. would the fuel pressure stay up when you shut down the engine? If so could one verify if the pressure dropped over time with a gauge?

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

yes you can do a pressure drop with a fuel gauge

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

So something like this would work for testing the pressure?

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/...ntent=10720525

Anything cheaper?

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                  So something like this would work for testing the pressure?

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/...ntent=10720525

Anything cheaper?
                  That is the one I have, works great.

Comment

yea that will work
                    to do a pressure drop test

hook up FPTG(fuel pressture tester gauge) to the shcrader valve, bleed the air out by having someone turn the key on but engine off, release the pressure into the dump hose(use a coffee can to catch the run off) do this multiple times to make sure there is no air bubbles in the hose. turn the key back on and see how much pressure drops in a certain amount of time(im trying to find out that the specs where now) also with the gauge hooked up you can run the car to check it against running pressure and then also when you shut the vehicle off(when its off, its like doing the before test)

Comment

With a new addition to my stable, daughter getting married in Canada and almost bare tires, I did not drive the TA for a couple of weeks. Last weekend tried to start it with the battery being too low. Re-charged and and today finally attempted to take it for a spin.

Engine turns but will not start, even after leaving the ignition on for a while and then trying to start until the battery gives out.

I guess I need to check the fuel pressure and out of curiosity I checked for this Schrader valve and could not find anything where I would consider hooking up a pressure gauge.

Can anybody guide me in the right direction to this valve? Thanks.

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Remebered ShBox's website and here it is, way in the back.....

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Bought the fuel pressure gauge and hook it up. With the battery still weak I put the ignition on and it showed no pressure. Tried one more time and it went up to about 10 - 12 psi. Another try showed 0 again.

Fully charged the battery, ignition and no pressure. Tried to start and it fired for a brief second then died.

Ignition and about 10 psi and the engine starts, pressure goes to 33 psi on idle. Take it for a spin. Crusing pressure 33-34 psi and WOT drops to 18 psi.

Back in the garage turned it off and then ignition wtih 38 psi. Leaving the gauge on to see if and how quickly the pressure drops.

Based on what I've been reading, looks like my fuel pump is not performing / on the way out and should be replaced or do I need to look at something else?

What is a good reasonable priced pump? Would this one work well?

http://www.racetronix.com/RX-FLT1-FPKG-2.html

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

2 hours later pressure was down to 0
                            Turned on ignition, pressure shows 14 psi. Quickly started the engine and it showed 34 psi with engine idling.

With engine off, pressure ends up at 38 psi.

Could there be an issue with the injectors only or both?

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

thats the problem with pressure job, 90% of the time, its fuel pump related. but theres injectors that could leak down, a check valve in the fuel pump that could be bad, etc

Comment

Working...
                              X