Thermostat Change on a 93-95 3.4 V6 Fbody

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Change on a 93-95 3.4 V6 Fbody

Due to the picture per post limit this is broken into 2 posts.

Ok, I finally got off my ass this morning to change my thermostat. I'll post up a description and some pics of how I went about doing it. I'm not sure if this is what the dealer or you would do, but it works for me. If you have another way or an easier way, then please feel free to add the additional info.

Things need:
    1 flat tip screwdriver
    1 pair pliers
    1 pair of needle nose pliers
    1 magnetic retrieval tool (just in case)
    1 short 7mm socket 1/4" drive
    1 short 13mm socket 1/4" drive
    1 deep 13mm socket 1/4" drive
    1 1/4" drive swivel
    1 8" 1/4" drive extension
    1 13mm combination box end/open end wrench

Upon opening the hood, find the two 7mm screwing holding on the cover over the throttle cables....then remove them.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ThrottleCover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	255961

Next, roll the throttle back and pull the ends of the cables out of the throttle levers.

Name:	ThrottleCable.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	255962

Next, there is one 13mm bolt and one 13mm nut holding on the throttle cable bracket, remove those and pull the bracket out of the way towards drivers fender.

Name:	ThrottleBracket.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	255963

After this, you'll need to unscrew the metal band on the intake boot, remove the plastic clamp on same boot, remove the pcv tube and unplug the sensor from the boot....remove boot and lay to the side.

Name:	IntakeBoot.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	255964

Now, you'll need to remove two 13mm bolts holding the throttle body to the intake. Facing the throttle body, one bolt is about the 1 oclock position and the other is about 8 oclock position...remove the bolts and lay the throttle body down in front of the water pump out of the way.

Name:	ThrottleBody.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	255965

to be continued in next post:
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

At this point, the thermostat housing is exposed well enough that you can see it clearly and can get to it for the most part. To remove the passenger side bolt, use the short 13mm socket, the swivel, the extension and the rachet. To remove the driver side bolt, you'll need to use the box end of the 13mm wrench. This will take a few minutes to get out, so be patient.

Name:	ThermHousing.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	255071

Once you get the housing out and pulled out of the way, you'll see the thermostat...if you're lucky it'll be turned just enough to where you can use the screwdriver to pry it out.

Name:	Thermostat.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	255072

Be careful not to tear the gasket when removing the thermostat and youll be able to reuse it. The gasket is rubber, has a groove in it and slips around the edge of the new thermostat.

Name:	ThermGasket.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	255073

Once you've done this, just reverse the above steps to put everything back opposite of the way it was removed.

The whole process should only take 1-2 hours.
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Great post, these type posts are very helpful.Im sure it will help inform others...its nice to see in real pictures, the actual job being done.
      Thanks for sharing.

Al
      Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

Thanks Al....I hope that it helps someone, thats what its all about right? lol Oh yeah, the work time that I posted may be a bit misleading, its probably closer to an hour worth of work WITHOUT taking the pics and gathering up tools.

Comment

Exactly why I have this site, hoping it helps others with similar interrest, a place to share searchable info and pics / videos...
          I truely am an enthusiast first and I enjoy all about the camaro and firebird, even working on them.

Al
          Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

Working...
          X