LT1 overheated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 overheated

Hey guys, it's been a long time - hope everyone's doing well.

I was on the freeway when I noticed the "Check gauges" light turn on. I looked down and the coolant temp was begged - well beyond 260. My exit was the next one about 1.5 miles away so I tried to limp it to the next exit. Then threw it in neutral and killed the car to the next stop light. The low coolant light then turned on. I started it again to get momentum to the next light, which was enough to get to 35 mph and throw in neutral and kill all the way home. My biggest concern - I really hope I didn't blow the motor. It turns out that the heater hose to the water pump blew out and I lost all coolant. I noticed, when limping it on the freeway, the motor started to shutter. I am guessing it was overheating.

The total time running at 260+ was probably 3 minutes or less, but I'm guessing that's enough to do damage. It has stock, but fully ported heads, which I hope didn't warp - cost a lot through AI. Does anyone have similar experience and do you think I damanged the engine?

Thanks in advance.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

hoping your car is ok, its always hard to tell what could have happened during those situations

Al
    Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

Re: LT1 overheated

Last night my stock 6spd 2010 2lt camaro had alot of issues cel went off after going through some s curves. I pulled over checked all information on gages with no indication. The engine killed. So I turned off and took key out waited ten minutes, then started every thing was normal. Went to turn around the engine started shuttering and died. Did same as be for. I noticed nothing abnormal in sounds. Well it was towed to a chevy dealer. They called and told me that I would need a diagnosis done. Checked back a couple hours later. I was in tears they told me it was the engine, and it was a blown engine, with cel light code c5 misfire. It may just be c5 is in super bad shape and that when it was running for them it had a awful knocking noise. I'm mortified that this could happen. Every chevy I have ever owned has never had this bad of a problem. This one is a cpo so I do have the full warranty. The dealer said he's never seen this and that the general motor inspector would be out to investigate. I'm so upset. I just thought I should post and see if anyone has had this problem or has heard of it.

Comment

Re: LT1 overheated

Last night my stock 6spd 2010 2lt camaro had alot of issues cel went off after going through some s curves. I pulled over checked all information on gages with no indication. The engine killed. So I turned off and took key out waited ten minutes, then started every thing was normal. Went to turn around the engine started shuttering and died. Did same as be for. I noticed nothing abnormal in sounds. Well it was towed to a chevy dealer. They called and told me that I would need a diagnosis done. Checked back a couple hours later. I was in tears they told me it was the engine, and it was a blown engine, with cel light code c5 misfire. It may just be c5 is in super bad shape and that when it was running for them it had a awful knocking noise. I'm mortified that this could happen. Every chevy I have ever owned has never had this bad of a problem. This one is a cpo so I do have the full warranty. The dealer said he's never seen this and that the general motor inspector would be out to investigate. I'm so upset. I just thought I should post and see if anyone has had this problem or has heard of it.
        -20102ltkrystle

Comment

My guess is the water pump is either clogged or there is a blockage in the coolant lines another possibility is you need a new water pump or thermostat

Comment

Working...
          X