STRANGE NO START ISSUE 1989 GTA 350

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STRANGE NO START ISSUE 1989 GTA 350

Hello all. I looked for an "introduce yourself" forum and do not see one. I am a Ford guy from way back. I've had all measures of the '60s classics to Terminators and Shelbys. Not that you guys are interested in that, LOL.

I like them all though. I appreciate all nice cars. I am a pretty competent mechanic and a better than competent FORD mechanic. My neighbor has a MINT and 100% original including paint Red/tan cloth T-Top GTA with the OEM gold mesh wheels. NV car so never any rust. Dash is not cracked.

Anyway, One day it refused to start out of the blue. Gave no signs of running poorly. I have a good set of diagnostic tools. I hooked a spark tester to a plug wire and voila.......SPARK! Ok, must be fuel. I pulled off the TB boot and shot a quick blast in it and VROOM! Fired right off. Ok. I shut it off. Seems like maybe a weak fuel pump. But I hit the key again and it fired right up. Then, it ran fine (not a daily driver) for 2 MONTHS. Sometimes sitting for 2 weeks at a time and started right up.
    So then, he drove it one day and the next morning went out and yet again. Crank but no start. Does not even hit like it is trying to start. Just crank, crank, crank, crank. Battery is plenty strong. Charging 14.4 volts (when it ran).
    So I hooked my rail tester on it this time. 42psi KO and 46 psi during cranking. That is well within range based on everything I am reading. What should I look at next?
    Thanks for your help and thanks for letting me join your site! I come in peace, LOL......

welcome.

these type problems can really a challenge, one thing comes to mind might be the ignition control module, sometimes it can act up on its way out...just an idea, hope you get it figured out.
    Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

check to see if the VATS light is on, if it is, search thirdgen.org for bypassing the vats
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
      X