Speedometer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer

my speedometer went out...the other day...and i looked for a cable under the car on the tranny but there is its just the shiftlinkege and the fluid hose....thats it...i dont even see the transducer asm....in the engine bay where the haynes manual says it is....i called a mechanic and he said its run by the comp....i think he was like it could be the speed sensor or the gauge cluster......and he said it would 105 dollars just to check to see it was and he said you could tell by the odometer or something if its not runnin also....
    and obviously if the speedmetor isnt workin then the odom isnt either....which it isnt....so any ideas on what i should do or where i should begin, is my cluster going bye bye cause everything else works.....like gauge wise..... i checked the fuse and replaced it...that didnt help so ????

It is either the speed sensor or the cluster.

Does the cruise control work? If the cruise works, it is the guage. If the cruise doesn't work, it's the sender.

The sender is located in the tail housing of the trans, in the same place the cable for a mechanical speedo would otherwise be.

It could it be a wire or a fuse if the other guages don't work either.

Comment

no the cruise control has never worked in the first place but i guess it is the cluster.....could it just be the wire behind the cluster thats not hookin up right of just the whole cluster itself just old....

Comment

Originally posted by 86TransAm350
        no the cruise control has never worked
        That makes the problem hard to diagnose, doesn't it. That is exactly why I never let my cars fall into disrepair. It's possible you bought it that way.

I'd start by replacing the cheapest of the 2 parts first. Once you get the speedo working again, fix the cruise.

PS... good luck with this and the heater.

Comment

Working...
        X