Car not running right

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car not running right

Hey guys, I need your advice on a possible problem.

Ok here it goes. My SS has only 8500 miles on it and is a 2000. The car has begun to run rough and then when it warms up it tends to miss alittle. Also when i hold the RPM steady at about 1300-1400, the entire car shakes, then as i increase the rpm it comes and goes. There are no SES codes coming up but im pretty sure there is a problem. The car also feels sluggish but it could be my imagination. Any info at all would be a big help. Today i may put in AC uridium plugs and msd wires, hopefully thats it.
    2000 Camaro SS
    Red on Dark Grey Leather,
    6 spd, Bilstein Suspension,
    Auburn Differential, Chrome ZR1 Wheels, SLP Performance Exhaust (not loudmouth........yet

Shouldnt it still be under warranty ??
    -Nick-
    95 A4 Z28

Comment

Yeah but with no codes there is nothing to fix, besides, for somethin like this id rather do it myself then let someone that really doesnt care about the car touch it.
      2000 Camaro SS
      Auburn Differential, Chrome ZR1 Wheels, SLP Performance Exhaust (not loudmouth........yet

Comment

how is tha car at idle ?? and is it consistent when the rpm;s increase?
        -Nick-
        95 A4 Z28

Comment

Car is rough at idle, like an older one and inconsistant above, sometimes smooth sometimes rough.
          2000 Camaro SS

Comment

it could be the harmonic balancer .... its kinda hard to tell without seeing/driving it. u might wana pick up a compression tester and test the heads mabey.
            -Nick-
            95 A4 Z28

Comment

Originally posted by PG45
              Yeah but with no codes there is nothing to fix, besides, for somethin like this id rather do it myself then let someone that really doesnt care about the car touch it.
              Just because there are no codes doesnt mean there is nothing to fix. If the car is truly running rough, the PCM should be picking a misfire. But it could be other things causing an irratic idle.

Have you done the tune- up yet??
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                Just because there are no codes doesnt mean there is nothing to fix. If the car is truly running rough, the PCM should be picking a misfire. But it could be other things causing an irratic idle.

Have you done the tune- up yet??
                I know that, thats just what the genious at the dealership said, thats why i think this ones gonna be up to me to fix. As for the tune up, that the next plan of action. Im gonna use either magnacore or msd wires and either NGK T56's or AC Delco Uridiums. Does this sound like a coil problem, and do they even have high voltage coils for this car as in all 8?
                2000 Camaro SS

Comment

If the coils are working properly, they are very sufficient. If you have a bad coil, it could cause a rough running problem (it would probably trip a misfire code though). You would need to do a cylinder balance test to figure out which one (or look at the scanner if it had a code). Or the poor man's balance test is to pull each wire until you pull one without a change in idle. Be careful pulling wires, as they are real high voltage coils, you need to be inslulated from them.

Its very hard to diagnose a problem like this without seeing it. I dont know if what your feeling is normal or a vibration or a miss or whatever...... So, I am just giving you ideas; there are many more possibilities.

Oh, and its NGK TR6. If its stock, I would go with the AC delco factory plug.

96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
                  X