Can a Firebird be a WS6?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Firebird be a WS6?

I do not know a lot about the Firebird/Trans Am's, but they're great looking cars with power. I have a chance of buying a 1998 WS6 Formula Firebird, but I thought the WS6 option was only offered in the Trans Am.
    Can someone shed some light on this?
    Thanks,
    Steve

The Formula was also available with the WS6 package. The Formula is basically a T/A with a base firebird body panels. So susension and powertrain wise there both the same. I'm not sure about the last year or so of the Formula.
    LT4KM, 160 degree TS, MAF ends, TB-bypass
    1.6 Roller Rockers, SLP CAI, LCA, tierod, 17x9" Wheels F/R, 275/40R17 Goodyear F1 tires.
    WS6 Muffler, LS1 Alum. Drive shaft. 21mm rear sway bar
    Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Re: Can a Firebird be a WS6?

Originally posted by Newkidontheblock
      I do not know a lot about the Firebird/Trans Am's, but they're great looking cars with power. I have a chance of buying a 1998 WS6 Formula Firebird, but I thought the WS6 option was only offered in the Trans Am.
      Can someone shed some light on this?
      Thanks,
      Steve
      the ws6 package was offered on the formula
      and trans am..starting in 1996 to 2002.

"firebird"...from gm's perspective...and for owners..means the basic firebird with a v6. formula and t/a are model names depicting the two v8 models... then there is the Firehawk and Comp T/A which are tier 1 cars modified for pontiac by slp engineering.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

No WS6 option on Formulas in 2001 or 2002

Ken, I could swear the WS6 became only a Trans Am available option in 2001... let me know if I am mistaken.
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Thanks for the info. guys. Plan on becoming a F-body owner soon. I apreciate the help.
          Have a great day.
          Steve

Comment

I don't know the exact year but they did stop offerring the WS6 option on Formulas before the end of the breed. I thought 99 was the last year but I am not sure...only sure that they did stop offerring it as a Ws6 for formulas making it a Trans Am only item

Comment

Re: No WS6 option on Formulas in 2001 or 2002

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
              Ken, I could swear the WS6 became only a Trans Am available option in 2001... let me know if I am mistaken.
              i think you may be right... i quit paying attention to it a while back.....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

dont leave me out ken, the 96 and 97 ws6 trans ams were also made by slp, cmon now.

1996 Trans Am WS6 #34
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/gunter96ws6

Comment

I was under the impression that the WS6 was available on a Formula until the end of production 1999. The Formula continued for another 2 years until the end of production 2001, the T/A was the only V8 and or WS6 for 2002. Am I wrong?

Comment

2000 last year for Formula

According to edmunds.com, 2000 was the last year for the Formula.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/pon...ks..2.Pontiac*
                    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Re: 2000 last year for Formula

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
                      According to edmunds.com, 2000 was the last year for the Formula.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/pon...ks..2.Pontiac*
                      i know of some 01 formulas. on that web page, it says that the WS6 was dropped in 01. so last year for the WS6 formula was 2000
                      Adam 2kSS #4959 6-speed
                      PERFORMANCE: whisper lid, mac headers w/ offroad y pipe, SLP Loudmouth, LS1 hotcam, ls6 springs, Predator, ngk tr6's, spec stage 3 x-pad, steel billet flywheel, 5177, purge, bottle heater, moser 12 bolt, 4.30 gears, tb coolant bypass, FRA, !cags, !egr, !A.I.R.
                      SUSPENSION : eibach pro kit, bmr boxed lca & relocation brackets
                      APPERENCE : clear corners, camaro fill in on front bumper and back, black and silver SS badges

http://www.geocities.com/xxlo00oixx

Comment

I Spoke to Pontiac Parts.

From my understanding from Pontiac is the WS6 Sport Package cars have a different tighter suspension, 17" rims, the Ram air hood and Air Flow box is a little higher than regular birds. I think the Engine is reprogrammed for WS6s as well. I've read that the LS1 engines have been grossly underestimated in horsepower trying to make way for the LS1vettes. Oh and the brakes are supposed to be larger also. I don't know how much different the Exhaust is supposed to be though. That's my understanding.
                        Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

WS6 Formula - I see one everyday!

Ok, to make a few things clearer - LS1 WS6 Formula's were produced in '98, '99. and '00 only. Here's the production breakdown for those years:

1998 - 223
                          1999 - 175
                          2000 - 233

Pretty rare cars - I have one of only 11 in Canada for '98

LT1 WS6 Formula's were produced in '96 and '97 with the following number of units built:

1996 - 524
                          1997 - 514

And a gratuitous pic of mine *L*

'98 WS6 Formula M6

A few mods...best 1/4 mile results so far 12.64 and 115mph

Comment

Thanks for the break down Bill. Very nice car. I can't decide on Firebird WS6 or a T/A WS6. Both great cars.

Is there a way to verify the WS6 option by vin number? I know that SLP can verify if it's a true Camaro SS and Firehawk.

Thank you.

Comment

ASC handled the "conversion" of '98 -'02 WS6's and can provide you with a build number if you send them the VIN in question. Easiest way to see if a car you're looking at is a "real" WS6 is to check the RPO sticker on the inside of the driver's door. If the code "WS6" is there, it's the real deal.
                              '98 WS6 Formula M6

A few mods...best 1/4 mile results so far 12.64 and 115mph

Comment

Working...
                              X