Restrictor plates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restrictor plates

My buddy and i were talking about exaust and intakes and it came abotu thata i remembered soemhting while watchin nascar they were talking about restrictor plates but we couldn't exactly figure out what there for. can anyone help me out and tell me what they do, and if there any good for cars like camaro's?

They are a "restriction" required under the NASCAR rules, and purposely installed under the carburetor to limit HP. In theory, by specifying the open area of the restrictor, they can put all teams on the same footing.

Defiinitely not something you would intentionally install on a street car. It would hurt performance, not help it.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

This prevents cars from running very dangerously fast at Talledega and some
      other track that is very fast.

But this causes drivers to ride very close
      together, causing more accidents.

Originally posted by Injuneer
      They are a "restriction" required under the NASCAR rules, and purposely installed under the carburetor to limit HP. In theory, by specifying the open area of the restrictor, they can put all teams on the same footing.

Defiinitely not something you would intentionally install on a street car. It would hurt performance, not help it.

Comment

i put a restrictor plate on my x wife..........

it worked......

yes..its not for performance....thats for sure.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

While on the subject of Nascar how do they get 800+ hp out of a 350 while the most thats been gotten on a factory car is 405 hp (Z06)? I know there are things like race gas, no emissions contorls, and alot of money and time put in every engine but 400 hp difference is alot out of a same cubic inch engine. Also how is it possible to run at 8,000 rpm with a push rod engine for so long. Any of our cars would probably blow up running at that for even a short time.
          1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

10,000rpm. And tuned, using inlet runner and exhaust tuning that helps them make huge power in a very narrow RPM range. Huge heads allow huge air flow, and don't have to ALSO meet "streetability" requirements.

Multiply the rpm X minutes in the race, and you will realize that the engine really doesn't have to last very long. The valve springs, for example, carrying huge loads, probably wouldn't last at all in a 10,000mile street car. With a relatively inexpensive valve train, my 381 w/solid roller will run at 7,500rpm all day. They can use high $$$, exotic materials for valve train weight reduction and raise the rpm limit much higher.

It's like a top fuel dragster.... the engine performs at top HP for only 750 revolutions, then gets rebuilt.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

And to add...

If you really think about it, our LT1/LS1 engines are not very efficient. At 5.7 liters, these engines make about 50 hp per liter. Not very efficient. For comparison sake, my Ponitac Vibe Yamaha motor puts out 100 hp per liter, NA. That being the case, if it were as large as my T/A's motor, I would be at 570 hp instead of 325.

So, when looking at NASCAR engines, realize that they are more efficient than street motors, but at a high cost to longevity. Even so, approxiamtely 140 hp per liter is nothing great. Especially not when you consider a Top Fuel dragster is close to 1000 hp per liter. Granted it's with a power adder, but these engines are exponentially more efficient than a NASCAR engine, but again, at a cost. They are designed to last 4 - 5 seconds before needing a rebuild. Call me crazy, but I prefer my 50 hp per liter motor which is good for at least 100,000 miles before needing work.
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I never looked at it that way. You still gotta admit though there an amazing piece of machinery.
                1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

It is not as much the parts but more the tuning that goes into a winston cup motor. And another thing is that granted the parts are relatively expensive, its the R&D and time of tunning that brings up the price. A busch engine and winston cup engine are basically the same parts but you get about 800 from the wc and 550-600 from the busch. That difference is from the engine builder and how it is tuned. I know i guy that tried to build his own "winston cup" engine for his car. Spent like $35000 in parts to build it and get it balanced and all the other trimmings to only get like 600 hp at like 8500. Why, all in the tuning. The only part that he cant get his hands on is a cam (his biggest problem). Those cams are all grinded buy the engine builders to meet the requirements of the track. Not to keep rambling, but they dont get 800 at all the tracks. At some tracks they will have anywhere from 50 to 100 less. And at daytona and talladega with the restictor plates, they are pushin 500 maybe.

Phew im done!
                  2000 Camaro SS
                  Red on Dark Grey Leather,
                  6 spd, Bilstein Suspension,
                  Auburn Differential, Chrome ZR1 Wheels, SLP Performance Exhaust (not loudmouth........yet

Comment

"that goes into a winston cup motor. And another thing is that granted the parts" not to be a $marta$$ but its not winston cup anymore its.... ummm.... some cellpohne company cant forget the name but yeha they changed the name
                    1986- honda accord lx 2.0 liter fuel injection 5-speed manual 211,000 miles-sold-
                    1986- honda accord dx 2.0 liter carb. 4-speed automatic 200,000 miles-sold-
                    1992-mitsubishi eclipse 2.0L DOHC 5 speed manual 16" ar rims -blew up- then i sold it- worse mistake ever (buying it)
                    1991 hyundai excel-HA! sold
                    1995 dodge neon 1.6 liter,5spd, cold air intake, short throw shift, buger bushings, stiffer motor mounts, strut towers/ anti sway, lowering kit, a couple other perf. mods , sleeper

Comment

OK, I know some estimated figures off the top of my head. Dale Jarrett, 1 1/2 years ago at Michigan dynoed his car after the race and got 738 RWHP. A few others were in that range, Dodge being the lowest at ~720 RWHP. Now with the restrictor plates, they are making ~385 RWHP 2 years ago.
                      Now, I'm sure they are dynoing at 750+ RWHP, but NASCAR continues to restrict the superspeedway horsepower to the same amount. As mentioned earlier, the weight of each engine part is mandated, to try to keep the revs and horsepower down a bit.
                      As far as Busch vs Winston Cup motors, Busch are now making 700-720 hp, and WC is around 800-850. The reason Busch is that close is because they are allowed to use roller lifters and cam (unlike WC), but are still restricted to a 390 carb, compared to 780 for WC.
                      True, the power bandwidth of a Winston cup motor is not streetable, however, I have seen a dyno chart of a Hendrick motor (one of the underperforming ones: 768 hp @ 8000). He was selling it for $40,000 on his web site and gave a dyno chart: at 5000 RPM, it made well over 600 hp, and at 6000 RPM, it was close to 700 hp. Above that, the numbers just grew rapidly. So it's still making a substantial amount of horsepower at a somewhat wide RPM range.
                      Sorry for getting a little off track...it's been a looooong day for me.
                      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

The whole reason for restrictor plates in the first place is Nascar felt that the speeds were climbing to an unsafe level. Engine technology was climbing at an alarming rate and the saftey of the drivers and spectators was becomming an issue. As HP level keep increasing, restrictor plates change to compensate. A while back there was a top speed shootout among various racing sanctions. Up to the next to the last entry, the Porsche protoype was in the top spot with something like a 226 mph speed and the factory team was pretty cocky. A Nascar Grand National car removed it's restrictor plate, taped up a few body gaps and literally blew the competition off the track and went 248. That was perhaps 8 years ago. Imagine what the speed could be today.

Comment

Wow, do you have any more info on what the other racing series' got? That is pretty cool. I heard Benny Parsons talking about it during a race this year, but didn't get specific. I'm guessing 260+would be done nowadays.

Regarding my earlier post, I apologize because I have off about 1000 RPM. At 6000, it made 600+ hp. The engine generated 536 ft/lb of torque, and the hp and tq always meet at 5250, thus it was 500+ hp at 5000 RPM.
                          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
                          X