Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited slip additive

Question.
    When I go to the store looking for rear end lube, they have 2 types. 1 for non limited slip rear ends and 1 for limited slip rear ends. What is the difference in them? Does the one for limited slip rear ends already have the additive in them? The bottle doesn't say. If the one for limited slip rear ends already has it in it, adding it will make it slip more and not turn both tires.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

The limited slip additive is a friction modifier. It makes the clutches grab even though they are covered with oil. It is similar to automatic tranny fluid when you rub it between your finger & thumb & it feels grabby. If you added a bottle of the GM additive to lube that already has it in there, it won't hurt anything.

Comment

I thought it was to make it slip to keep it from grabbing all the time. Without it, the rear end tries to not slip when cornering and wears out the clutches.

Never-the-less, my question is whether the stuff from the store has it in it or not.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        I thought it was to make it slip to keep it from grabbing all the time. Without it, the rear end tries to not slip when cornering and wears out the clutches.

Never-the-less, my question is whether the stuff from the store has it in it or not.
        no. it does not. even though Mobil 1 gear oil is "said" to not need it......dont go home without it. its cheap insurance. i always run it after changing the gears and changing the fluid.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Re: Limited slip additive

Just get some Mobil 1 75w90 or something.

If you have a limited slip rear end,
          goto the dealer and purchase a
          bottle of the additive.

Question.
          When I go to the store looking for rear end lube, they have 2 types. 1 for non limited slip rear ends and 1 for limited slip rear ends. What is the difference in them? Does the one for limited slip rear ends already have the additive in them? The bottle doesn't say. If the one for limited slip rear ends already has it in it, adding it will make it slip more and not turn both tires.

Comment

If you run Mobil 1, you don't need it. The additive is purely cosmetic. The chattering is more of annoyance, that's why you put it in. It doesn't hurt the differential.

For a performance car, it hurts it. It causes slip, which you don't want. Go to the track and look at all the one wheel burnouts. You'll find that most, if not all, run the additive.

If it chatters with synthetic, then just change the fluid. Should change it every year anyway.
            Rob
            04 GTO

Comment

I had regular lube in. It was MORE than an annoyance. It soudned like the rear
              was going to grenade.

"Boing!!" and other such sounds
              were heard next to the chatter in
              the turns.

Originally posted by Rob
              If you run Mobil 1, you don't need it. The additive is purely cosmetic. The chattering is more of annoyance, that's why you put it in. It doesn't hurt the differential.

For a performance car, it hurts it. It causes slip, which you don't want. Go to the track and look at all the one wheel burnouts. You'll find that most, if not all, run the additive.

If it chatters with synthetic, then just change the fluid. Should change it every year anyway.

Comment

It looks like there is a lot of confusion on this issue.

Comment

It looks like there is a lot of confusion on this issue.
                  follow whats in your owners manual.

Comment

No big mystery. If you get Redline lube, it has the stuff in it. Most others do not. Get a bottle of the Gm stuff and put it in there along with the Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, or whatever during the change. That's all you need. In my case, I use 80-90 and 2 bottles of additive. When I had the 10 bolt and stock cone type diff, I used 1 bottle of the stuff. Change it when you feel guilty, and life will be beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                    X