400 build questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 build questions

I got an early inheritance of my uncle's 79 trans am. It's a 301 4 speed car I believe with 3.08 gears. It's been parked for over 20 years in a garage but the last time I remember seeing it outside it looked in very good shape. I plan on getting it running again in the spring but then over the summer is want to build it into a period correct street/strip car. Everything in the car I want it to be available at or before 1980. I have a rebuilt 79 400 short block. I'd like to put the best factory heads on it, long tube headers, dual exhaust, a new cam, and preferably a dual quad intake. I'm seeing intakes for pre 1964 pontiac v8s and a currently manufactured edelbrock. Was there a dual quad available that would work with the 79 engine? Could an earlier one be modified to work? Was that edelbrock dual quad available in 1980? Can a dual quad be made to work with the shaker hood? Any recommendations on a cam? For now I'll most likely be keeping the 3.08s and running a 27-28" tire. Did anyone even use subframe connectors back then? Exhaust will probably be dual 2.5" exiting the rear. With glass packs unless it ends up being too loud inside. I believe it already has a hurst shifter in it. It will also have slapper bars. Any other suggestions?
Working...
X