Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"New" 96 Comp T/A owner saying hello....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" 96 Comp T/A owner saying hello....

My name is Garrett, I just purchased a 1996 Pontiac Comp T/A (#91, hardtop, auto, 18k miles), and wanted to register/say hello since I'm sure I'll be spending a decent amount of time at this site.

I'm 26 years old as of yesterday, and moved from Mass to San Diego a few months ago after getting my masters degree in fire protection engineering. To be honest, I don't have much experience f-body cars...but I love all things fast, and just about anything with wheels and a motor.

Before I moved from Mass, I owned a '00 Ford Lightning for two and a half years, and lightly modded it to run a 12.9@106.8mph.

I started racing motocross in 1996, won the New England (NESC) 250cc Amateur Motocross Championship in 2000, and got my AMA Pro Motocross license in 2001.

Last year I purchased my first streetbike as a graduation gift to myself (a 2002 Honda CBR600F4i). Since then I spent about $1,500 in mods to it...but the bike was stolen from outside my apartment last month. While that sucked pretty bad, its actually the only reason I now own my Comp T/A (after settling with my insurance).

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, and was hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction towards any information available about Comp T/A's (websites/owners groups etc), or could tell me what mods are worth doing.

The only "mods" the previous owner told me he did was a K&N panel filter and a Superchips programmable tuner. I have a feeling he messed with the settings on the tuner since the car has chirped 2nd gear for me a few times (which I like), but the car seems to rev too long/high in 1st gear at WOT, so I'm going to at least pull that shift point back a bit.

Lastly, has anyone installed a shift kit in their auto tranny? I would like to, but want to make sure the trannys can handle them reliably. Thanks guys. Hope I can contribute something back.

Hello and welcome! Yeah, it is 2:30 AM here, I am cramming for an economics exam and got a little distracted.

Congrats on the car
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

glad to see ol 91 got a home!

the owner of 29 and 92 live 45 miles from me here in VA.

enjoy the rarest slp engineering model made my friend.

did you know the actor Tony Curtis has a Comp TA?

trivia..

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys...

...wolfman, do you know any history about the/my car? If so I'd really like to know whatever you could pass along.

Also, does anyone know about what my car should run in the quarter (stock with auto tranny)? Are there any mods that I don't know about but can't live without?

Like I said, the car is new to me, but I'm very eager to learn anything / everything that you guys can pass along.

Thanks again.

GK

Comment

Re: Thanks for the warm welcome guys...

Originally posted by MXRacer
          ...wolfman, do you know any history about the/my car? If so I'd really like to know whatever you could pass along.

Also, does anyone know about what my car should run in the quarter (stock with auto tranny)? Are there any mods that I don't know about but can't live without?

Like I said, the car is new to me, but I'm very eager to learn anything / everything that you guys can pass along.

Thanks again.

GK
          broh....i know everthing there is to know about the CompTa...including who designed it for Gm.

go to http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/7710

i have copies of the brochure that slp sent out....and copies of Pontiac Enthusiast magazine with the wrtie up on the CompTA. if you would like one of each. send me a private message. all i ask is you send me a self addressed envolope with postage. they are yours to keep with the car. slp and gm gave me all of them in 1997 when the car stopped production.

regards

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

With traction, high 13's. Most likely 14.0.

They performed just like any other WS6 TA. But they are incredibly heavy as they were loaded. Best mod for a stock automatic is a stall converter and drag radials. Those will knock your times down by .5 second.
            Rob
            04 GTO

Comment

Welcome!!

You certainly came to the right place to find out about the Comp T/A. Congrats on owning a very rare bird.
              Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Welcome aboard.
                LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

"incredibly heavy "

oh my God....all those options......they weigh a ton........

they aint "that" much heavier.....robbie

hahahahahahaaa

Comment

Re: "New" 96 Comp T/A owner saying hello....

Yes, I installed one. If you don't like
                    chirping 2nd, your not going to like the shift kit.

If you put a 2800 stall vigilante torque converter,
                    then you will need the shift kit.

Good Luck.,

Originally posted by MXRacer

The only "mods" the previous owner told me he did was a K&N panel filter and a Superchips programmable tuner. I have a feeling he messed with the settings on the tuner since the car has chirped 2nd gear for me a few times (which I like), but the car seems to rev too long/high in 1st gear at WOT, so I'm going to at least pull that shift point back a bit.

Lastly, has anyone installed a shift kit in their auto tranny? I would like to, but want to make sure the trannys can handle them reliably. Thanks guys. Hope I can contribute something back.

Comment

Hey Garrett, glad to have you. Now, Comp T/A, I remember seeing one of those, a green one to be exact, but didn't get a chance to see what was under the hood. What exactly is different performance wise over, let's say, a stock '96 WS6,
                      and what do they run in the quarter?

Comment

And to answer your A4 question, I have a '93 Z28 (purple pearl
                        thank you!) and I had TransTec in Sacramento, CA install a
                        Trans-Go shift kit. I've read nothing but great reviews about it
                        and haven't heard any negative feedback at all, and must say
                        I am satisfied. The kit was only $120 from Summit Racing and
                        has greatly improved performance. It was one of the first things
                        I did and dropped 2 tenths honestly off of my 1/4 time, and it's
                        not too agressive like my dad's Level 10 kit. And yes the 4L60's
                        can handle this mod and then some.

Comment

welcome , you picked the best forum there is
                          Miss My Bird

Comment

Originally posted by fbodyj
                            Hey Garrett, glad to have you. Now, Comp T/A, I remember seeing one of those, a green one to be exact, but didn't get a chance to see what was under the hood. What exactly is different performance wise over, let's say, a stock '96 WS6,
                            and what do they run in the quarter?
                            you didnt see a compTA if it was green, dude. they are all silver, with a stripe. if that green ta said "compTA." it was a fake.

go to the site i posted to him above, the CompTA owners Assoc. home page.....it tells you all about them. or go to my site........its all there too. click on my CompTA section ......

Comment

Working...
                            X