• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin Arctic Alpin/Alignment trouble

’94 TA
    42k miles
    Excellent condition

About 6 weeks ago, I had snow tires put on my TA. Immediately after the snow tires were put on, the car pulled to the right. To give you a little background, the summer tires I took off are 245/16’s. When these were on the car, it drove straight and did not pull. The snow tires I purchased are Michelin Arctic Alpin’s and they are 215/16’s (directional).

I purchased the snow tires through Discount Tire and they had them put on and balanced. That night, I had to drive down to Salt Lake City (about 50 miles away). The car pulled to the right on the freeway. At first, I thought it might be a tire pressure problem. My schedule was very busy back then and I wasn’t able to check the tire pressure for a few days. When I did, the pressure in each tire was at 35 psi. I decreased the pressure to 32 psi in each tire and took it for a test drive. It still pulled to the right.

Because of my busy schedule, I wasn’t able to make it back to Discount Tire for a couple of weeks. When I did make it in, they swapped the passenger side tires (front to rear) and I took it for a drive to see if it made a difference. Well, it still pulled to the right. I drove back to Discount Tire and they swapped the driver side tires (front to rear). I took it for a test drive and it still pulled to the right. At this point, I had to leave and get home.

The following weekend (end of November), I decided to take the car in to check the alignment just to make sure this wasn't the problem (remember that the car drove straight with my summer tires on). I took it to Sears at a local mall so that I could do some shopping while they worked on it. Sears found this and made the following adjustments (I can email the data to you if you would like/the file is too big for me to attach).

But, when I took the car home, I found that it was pulling to the right exactly the same as before.

A week passed before I could work on the issue again. Then, on December 5th, I took the car back to Discount Tire. They decided to swap the front tires (left to right) leaving them on the rims so that they ran counter their intended direction to see if that changed anything. I took it for a test drive and it drove straight! It had just the very hint of a pull to the left but it was very acceptable to me. I didn’t have time to go back to Discount Tire that night so I drove home.

On December 6th, I went back to Discount Tire and told them that it was driving straight. They put a new tire on the wheel that was on the driver front and put that wheel and new tire back on the passenger front. Then, they put the passenger front (that was running counter direction) back on the driver front. I took the car out for a test drive and it pulled to the right again!

Now, beginning to lose my patience, I drove back to Discount Tire. I told them to swap the rear tires so that they would run counter direction to see if this made a difference. I drove home and it pulled to the right still.

At this point, I’m not sure what to do. I could swap the rear back again (so that they are running the right direction) and then try swapping the front tires (left to right) to see what happens. Anyone have any suggestions? This is really beginning to get frustrating! I can’t stand this pull.

Regards,
    Martin
    '94 TA. A4, MagnaFlow Catback, ZR1 Replica Wheels, Hawk Brake Pads (HPS), 58k miles.

I'm no alignment expert, but I have to wonder about your front end camber. The directional tread may be amplifying an imbalance from left to right. Does you car have a strut tower brace? I'm asking because it's possible to have let the adjustment slip during install.

Again I am no expert and may be full of it but the alignment is where I would continue looking. Also, I wouldn't necessarily trust a Sears alignment... I've gotten bad ones even from reputable shops before.

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

Too bad you don't have an extra set of wheels and tires you could swap onto the car. Perhaps even a buddy who would lend them to you for the test to see if a complete different set still pulls. I've had a brand new set of tires do just that. The shop tried to tell me it was the alignment and I had to prove it to them by bringing another set, swapping them on and let them see for themselves that the new tires were defective.

Comment

Flash,
        Nope. It doesn't have the tower brace. It's all stock. I know what you mean about the difficulty of trying to get a good alignment...

Joe,
        Unfortunately, this is the only set of wheels I have.

Martin
        '94 TA. A4, MagnaFlow Catback, ZR1 Replica Wheels, Hawk Brake Pads (HPS), 58k miles.

Comment

I am looking for a new set of meats and I came across this qoute.

I got 225/45r17 and 245/40r17 for my 1997 M3. I'm pretty happy with the tires overall, except for one big problem. I have a pretty severe pull with the tires. If I mount the fronts on the car rotating backwards, the car tracks straight, but if I mount them rotating the right direction, the car pulls fairly strongly to the right. This is indicative of poorly wound belts in them.

http://discounttire.epinions.com/aut...39D10FDB-prod1

96 TA Sold!
          87 TA Sold!
          80 Z28 Sold!
          74 Formula Sold!
          73 Z28 Sold!
          69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Thanks! This will give me some ammunition to go back to Discount. I'll check that site later too. It's hard to believe 2 out of 4 Michelin tires would be bad but...

Martin

Comment

Not Michelin but similar problem

http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...ges/22531.html

read replies
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

what aspect ratio dude? you need to tell that. leaving that out of a tire size is like leaving the width out of a shoe size.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

215/55/16 -When I was typing the memo over the weekend, I suddenly had a brain cramp (I blame it on old age) and I couldn't remember if it was 50 or 55 so I left it out. Anyway, they're 215/55/16's.

Sheepishly,
                  Martin

Comment

Is it possible that you have a diameter mismatch on the two front tires.... one side being appreciably larger than the other? You might want to try measuring the circumfrence to see if both tires are the same diameter.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                    X