X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chevy or pontiac

Hi,
    A 1968 firebird
    looking at the the engine is there a way to tell if it's a chevy or pontiac 400 engine? Also the speedometor is off I think there the wrong size tires (14" rims) on it any idea what size the correct size?

thx's
    Ace

If its the original engine - its a pontiac. If not the original, the pontiac is larger in appearance, the valley pan can be seen through the intake manifold ports and the water pump is partially bolted to the intake manifold. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of a pontiac, I will post it.

The original rim size is 14".
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

i think they were a diff color back then too....cant remember..but redish orange for chev, green for poncho...or blueish green????????

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

in 68, the pontiac was a silverish blue color. heres a pic.
        Attached Files
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

heres another pontiac.
          Attached Files

Comment

Many times engines are repaited to non stock colors. The easist way to visually tell the difference between a chevy and a pontiac motor is by the exhaust manifold. The chevy exhaust ports come straight out the side of the head 90º from the mounting flange. Pontiac exits in a more downward direction, almost pointing at the motor mount, close to a 45º downward angle.

Comment

chevy or pontiac

It' blue and the exh. manifolds are at a 45 degree angle. It a pontiac.

thank's

Ace

Comment

Take a look at the head casting number. The power that your pontiac is making depends alot on the heads you are running. Look at the middle exhaust ports- its stamped right on there. Let me know what you've got.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X