carburated swap...?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carburated swap...?????

i have a 95 v6 camaro and im lookin to put a carburated sbc in it... does anyone know if that is possible or what i will have to do in order for that to happen?? any help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Jayson

The major problems you will face include squeezing the distributor under the cowl - can be done, although may require cutting up cowl and removing windshield wipers; fitting carb under hood - can be done, but requires high-rise "cowl" style hood. Obviously will not be emissions legal. Most people who have done this are more interested in "track only" setups.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

am i going to have to cut up the cowl alot? i was planning on the cowl hood already but i wasnt sure if the carb would be under the cowl or not...

Thanks for your help!

Comment

get an LT-1 block, build that up[ and get the GM performance parts intake for a 4 barrel. that way you can run a regular coil w/ an MSD and run an opti with out having to run a rear mount distributor
        2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
        1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
        past rides:
        1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
        2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
        1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
        2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
        2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
        1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
        1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
        1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Originally posted by azkkn
          get an LT-1 block, build that up[ and get the GM performance parts intake for a 4 barrel. that way you can run a regular coil w/ an MSD and run an opti with out having to run a rear mount distributor

Alright thats my next option.... either that or i go with a 3rd gen...

Thanks alot for your help!!

Comment

Admittedly I know very little about this but isn't he still going to have to use the PCM from a V8 car in order to get spark advance from the OPTI?
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thud, Thud, Thud..

(that is the sound of a dead horse getting beaten)

If you are trying to build a car for the street, general consensus here is that you would be MUCH better off buying a V8 car to start off.

If you are building a race car for the track, and plan on replacing the entire suspension/ motor mounts / radiator / ... Heck, lets just say the "every moving part" on the car, and many that dont move too.
              Then... You are ok starting with a V6 car.

I'm not sure of your goal.

Comment

im lookin to do a street car...... i have the v6 and i kinda wanted to work with that!!!

I figured it was a start!!!

Thanks

Comment

The V6 car does not have much in common with the V8 car. You will spend a fortune replacing everything. This includes, but is not limited to:

Front suspension Springs (the V8 is heavier)
                  Motor mounts
                  transmission crossmember and mount
                  driveshaft (the V6 uses a 2piece shaft according to Haynes)
                  radiator and hoses and waterpump
                  all the accessories (Alt, PS pump) and brackets / tensioner/ belt
                  Engine (including induction, ignition etc...)
                  Transmission, torque converter/clutch
                  computer PCM and engine harness
                  exhaust manifolds, crossover etc.
                  Starter / flywheel / flexplate

Also keep in mind, the computer shifts the transmissions on these cars and controls the speedometer. It cannot just be disconnected to run a carb. And, after going through all this pain, and bleeding money to get it done you will have a fake. It will be really hard to sell, and have little value to anyone. People in general like fuel injection, it is easier to drive, start and more reliable. It produces more power in most street applications too.

Still think you want to take it on?

Comment

lol not really..... ill just go with a 3rd gen now..... Thanks alot for all of your help guys!! looks like u saved me a MAJOR headache!!

Thanks again
                    Jayson

Comment

third gen all the way!
                      86 Camaro (350)
                      79 Blazer (FI 350)
                      98 Buick Riviera (S/C)
                      96 Grand Prix (Sp. Ed.)

Comment

Originally posted by pwmin
                        third gen all the way!

Thats what im sayin!!!

does anyone know the weight comparison between a 3rd gen and a 4th gen???

Comment

Originally posted by tabahr
                          The V6 car does not have much in common with the V8 car. You will spend a fortune replacing everything. This includes, but is not limited to:

Front suspension Springs (the V8 is heavier)
                          Motor mounts
                          transmission crossmember and mount
                          driveshaft (the V6 uses a 2piece shaft according to Haynes)
                          radiator and hoses and waterpump
                          all the accessories (Alt, PS pump) and brackets / tensioner/ belt
                          Engine (including induction, ignition etc...)
                          Transmission, torque converter/clutch
                          computer PCM and engine harness
                          exhaust manifolds, crossover etc.
                          Starter / flywheel / flexplate

What is so hard about that?

Comment

Working...
                          X