Car wont shift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car wont shift

I was driving my 1996 3.8 automatic Camaro to work today and everything was normal until i hit a huge puddle in the road that i couldnt avoid. After that my car stopped shifting the RPMs will go up but the car wont shift and pick up speed any ideas on what could have caused this problem... By huge puddle i mean huge it actually flooded 1 of my lights

Those transmissions shift electronically via a harness to the computer. I'd bet it got wet somewhere and shorted out. I'd dry out all the connectors and check out all the fuses for starters.

Is it running OK? it flooded a headlight!? Is the PCM dry?

Comment

The car sounds ok when it runs the transmisson is what sounds bad it just sounds rough and makes noises ive never heard in my life. Everything else is dry from what i can see i didnt mean the headlight if flooded the fog light is my mistake. Anyway the car ran perfect last night and this morning before i hit the puddle it only has 57k on it so the transmisson shouldnt sound as bad as it does even if its wet right. Thanks

Comment

Assuming the reason for not shifting is related to the puddle, I would agree with Tabahar, let it dry for a day or so, you may have water in one of the connectors (although they should be water tight).

But, it could be a coincidence that you went through the puddle. I have seen stranger things.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

After looking at the tranny fluid im pretty sure its just shot its pretty brown and looks like it has small black dots. So now im looking at getting a new or rebuilt tranny. Does anyone know exactly what kind of transmisson a 1996 3.8 auto Camaro has so i can call around and get prices. Thanks

Comment

Tyr changing the fluid before you give up hope. It's cheap, and can't hurt.

Comment

Its a 4L60E. A basic over the counter rebuild on it should run about 600-800 with the converter. Shift kit it and other performance upgrades and you can start adding $$$.
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
              X