Posi-trac?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posi-trac?

The guy I purchased my 93 Trans Am from said that the car had a posi trac rearend and that they come stock. Is this true?

Thanks.

limited slip.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Re: Posi-trac?

Originally posted by mmcgehee9989
      The guy I purchased my 93 Trans Am from said that the car had a posi trac rearend and that they come stock. Is this true?
      Yes and no.

No it does not have "posi traction" That term is used by a different manufacturer, not Chevrolet.

Yes, your car does have an equivelant. It is called "limited slip"
      The rear diff. in your car has a clutch pack in it between the left and right wheels, allowing them to move independantly from eachother under low load situations around corners.

When you change the fluid in the diff, be sure to add the proper amount of GM limited slip addative.

Comment

Re: Re: Posi-trac?

Originally posted by tabahr
        Yes and no.

No it does not have "posi traction" That term is used by a different manufacturer, not Chevrolet.....

To my knowledge, and looking at the window stickers for several of my past Chevrolets -going back to 1963 - "Positraction" is the Chevy trademark for a limited slip differential. On my Pontiacs, it was trademarked as "Safe-T-Track".

I don't think the "positraction" name has been used by the factory for quite a while, but it always was a Chevy trademark.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Posi-trac?

Originally posted by Injuneer

I don't think the "positraction" name has been used by the factory for quite a while, but it always was a Chevy trademark.
          That what happens to my brain when I'm doped up on cold medicine. You are, of course correct. Thanks for straitening me out.

Comment

Working...
          X