Rear Tire width

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Tire width

What's the most tire width you can fit on a '94 T/A? Right now I have P285 40 ZR 17's and was thinking of putting P295's is that possible? Would there be any tire rubbing? Right now I have no problems at all.
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

I did a search on the tire rack and nobody makes a 295 wide 17" tire. The next tire size up is 315/35-17 and that calls for a 10.5-12.5" wide wheel.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

You can fit the 315 on an 11" wide wheel, but you need the right backspacing and even then, if your rear isn't centered exactly you may need to "massage" the inner wheel well for some clearance. You need to use the Corvette GS backspacing, not the ZR1 backspacing.
      69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
      70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
      2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

Oh I see. The ZO6 has P295's in the rear but I totally forgot that it had 18" rims. I'm not a big fan of P315's on F-body's they just don't look right to me. I have P275 Comp TA's in the front 40 ZR 17 and P285 Michelin Pilot's 40 ZR 17 in the rear.
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

You're probably better off sticking with that combination. I had a set of the 315's on ZR1 17x11 wheels on my old 93 Z28 and they were the wrong offset and stuck out of the wheel opening about 3/8 to 1/2".
          69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
          70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
          2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

I have 315's on the back of mine, and I will not go back to a 275 unless I absolutely have to. I have American Racing rims, and they did a lot of research when they did their offsets on the 17X11 for f-bodies, because it is dead on. No massaging, no adjustable PHR required, just bolt them up. They fit in the fenderwell too, and look VERY evil from the back
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

This is a stupid question I think, but since I was raised up in and drove a front wheel drive car... I think I need to ask it seeing as my Celica and my Sentra had all the same size tires and the same makes of tires on them, on all fours...

What is the point of having bigger wheels on the rear than on the front?...

And why don't you keep them the same on the front and the rear (Size wise... you know 235/55)?...
              Thanks
              MaraSport

Comment

Originally posted by MaraSport
                This is a stupid question I think, but since I was raised up in and drove a front wheel drive car... I think I need to ask it seeing as my Celica and my Sentra had all the same size tires and the same makes of tires on them, on all fours...

What is the point of having bigger wheels on the rear than on the front?...

And why don't you keep them the same on the front and the rear (Size wise... you know 235/55)?...
                The more meat on the road, the better the traction. The rear wheels do not need clearance for turning, so it is easy to fit wider ones back there for added traction.

Comment

just dont put the 315's on anything less than a 10.5" rim folks......

11 prefered. if you do......you dont gain any size in footprint.... all it is ......is cosmetic. and the tire casing is not happy....the bead is stress..and you stand a chance of poping it off the bead if the wrong chit happens..... heat build up prematurely wears the tire ddue to unatrual flex in the casing and tread blocks.

fyi.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                  X