SLP optional exhaust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP optional exhaust

My 97 SS came with the optional SLP exhaust; what is the difference between it and a normal Z28 exhaust? Just from the muffler back (TOTL)? Is the y-pipe and cats the same as a Z28? I'm doing exhaust upgrades and won't mess with the y-pipes if their already a high flow system.

Thanks
    97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

You don't have to worry about changing the cat-back then. You already have a good one with the SLP. BUT...you need to take out the cone that was placed before the muffler to quiet it down. Once that is out, it'll sound and perform better.

Its much better than the stock Z28 cat-back.
    Rob
    04 GTO

Comment

ditto

TOTL Rocks

Stealth Performance
      www.stealthperf.com
      (503)531-3170
      (leave message)
      E-Mail:
      sales@stealthperf.com

Comment

what Rob is refering to as the "cone"..is a restrictor inlet to the muffler located at the junction of the intermediate pipe and muffler inlet. it was "stuffed in" at the last min. due to complaints on the noise from the system. it restricts flow. you have to seperate that junction then chisel the thing out. id show you a pic but i recently thru mine away. our Hawk didnt have it....my CompTA did.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I've already removed the "cone of silence". I guess what I was asking was is the section between the exhaust manifolds and the muffler of my SLP optioned SS any different than a stock Z28?
          97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by 97ss497
            I've already removed the "cone of silence". I guess what I was asking was is the section between the exhaust manifolds and the muffler of my SLP optioned SS any different than a stock Z28?
            They both are the same

Stealth Performance
            www.stealthperf.com
            (503)531-3170
            (leave message)
            E-Mail:
            sales@stealthperf.com

Comment

wolfman...

You said that, "you have to seperate that junction then chisel the thing out". Can the exhaust be unbolted at that point, or do you have to cut a weld? .

Also, you said "our Hawk didnt have it....my CompTA did". I just bought my Comp T/A about a week ago, and was told it has the upgraded SLP exhuast (from the factory...twin pipes out the left). Did your Comp T/A have the same exhaust (DEEP and loud), or the "standard" Comp T/A exhaust (if such a thing exists).

I'm definitely still learning about these cars, but I'm always up for getting some "free hp" if possible, and not too difficult.

Thanks wolfman, thanks guys.

GK

Comment

It was only 97 cars that had the cone. Yours should be fine.
                Rob
                04 GTO

Comment

Did the LT4 F-Body's also get the Cone in the Dual-Dual SLP exhaust? Remember hearing they didn't, but why would the LT4 cars be any different.

Comment

Stupid follow-up questions from an inept owner...

Rob: Do you mean only 97 of all F-bodies have them, or 97 of the Comp T/A's? As you said, I'm not really worried because the car is already deeper / louder than my supercharged Lightning with true dual exhuast. Honestly, I couldn't imagine how much louder it would become if there actually WAS a cone in there now and I removed it...but I would.

Also, I know my engine is 5.7-liter / 350 cubic inch V8, but is it considered the LT1, LS1 or the LS4 that Eric just mentioned? How about gen-3 or gen-4? I promise I won't ask these basic questions again.

Thanks guys.

GK

Comment

Our F-bodies are considered 4th generation or gen-4. Your SS probably has an LT1, unless of course you have a Hard Top 30th Anniversery 6-speed or 1 of 106 LT4 Camaro's built in 1997. The LS1 replaced the LT1 in all 1998-up Z28 and SS equipped F-bodies. The LT4 is basically just an LT1 on steriods

Eric

Comment

It was an attempt to quiet the exhaust in 97 due to noise regulations, I believe. The dual/dual replaced the 2OTL for "factory" cars, its noticeably quieter than the previous exhaust.

The aftermarket 2OTL never had the cone.
                        Rob
                        04 GTO

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Rob. When you originally said 97, I mistakenly thought you were referring to a specific quantity, not the year 1997.

Thanks.

GK

Comment

Working...
                          X