finally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally

So after watching the ebay/autotrader market on a daily basis since about june, a car popped up that met all my desires and was close enough to actually go see.

http://www.carad.com/eBaymotors/view...listing=908560

Right now i'm driving a real beat up old 1993 Chevy Blazer with a wonderful 188k miles. I'm so sick of it its not even funny. the shocks are shot, engine sounds like its coughing on its last leg, and then last week it was broken into (so back window is smashed in), and the cd player ripped out and stolen. so needless to say i was rather eager to get out of it.

after starting out car shopping with a rather broad spectrum of cars i would consider (rx7s, stealth TT's, 3000gt vr4's, firebirds, porsche 944's, 300zx's) i finally settled on wanting a TA/Formula primarily.

Narrowing it down even more, after researching them completely, I finally said I wanted a 1996-1997 Black or blue WS6 Formula (preferably, but a TA was more than fine), with a 6spd, ttops, leather, low miles, within my budget, and close enough to where I am so that I could at least fly there and drive it back. At first I was sad because I wanted the 98+ body style, but the kbb value as well as the average prices i was seeing were well above my budget of $11000 max. usually around $15k or $16k, especially if it was a ws6. And the more and more I was looking at 96's and 97's the more i liked those versions, especially the formulas which had the normal front end instead of the TA front end. The sub-97's were all much more attractively priced, i think with a retail of around $10.5 and private party of $9.5.

So after about 4 months of searching I'd gotten a routine down pretty well. Everyday i'd go into ebay and search for ws6, 1996-997, under $11k. I'd been at it so long that I could actually chart trends in the ws6 market, sometimes there would be a whole influx of them and other times they were non existent. I had one close call, it was a 97 TA, 6spd, ws6, 76k miles, black, but with cloth seats. I didn't care. It was in fort worth texas, and i was (for the first time) going through the process of getting a loan and figuring out what it would take to get out there. Was extremely apprehensous about basicaly buying a car sight-unseen and was making plans to take it to a dealer before driving it the 600 miles back to atlanta.

Eh, either way, it ended up being sold before i could do anything and i sighed, but went back to just searching and searching.

So FINALLY, yesterday (friday), i sat down to do my regular search but my favorites had been deleted somehow so i had to re-do it. this time i just figured i'd look at them all, from 1996 and up, just to see what was goin on.

And sitting there, about halfway down the page, was a 1998 Formula, 69,000 miles, black, t-tops, 69k miles, 6spd, leather, tons of pictures, it was on a no-reserve auction sitting at $5500 with one day to go, and most importantly it was only a 45 minute drive away. This was THE first car I'd looked at yet in the last 4 months that was even REMOTELY close to me. The majority of them were in florida, texas, and callifornia and I had no idea why. Suddenly I was *Very* interested. the 98's have 305 HP stock, which was WHY i wanted the 97 ws6 -- just so i could be in that 300+ club. Why have 285 when you're so close to 300? EIther way, the gears in my head started turning on whether I'd be happy with a non-ws6 firebird, so i figured i'd at least drive out to look at it.

I looked up all the prices for it first. KBB said it was worth $12,600 at a dealer, edmunds said $11,500. Private party was around $9900. So it was close, I knew it would probably end up selling for around 10,500 at least, which is pretty close to my limit. But I figured there was a chance I could get lucky since it was no reserve, and be able to afford it.

On the drive up there, discussing it further, I decided that if, after seeing it and it all seemed to check out with no problems, I'd offer the guy an insane low-ball offer of $9000 and just see what he said. Couldn't hurt, right? And I was more than willing to go up to around 10,200 or 10,500 even. Hell I didn't even know if he'd be willing to end the auction early.

So we get there, he pulls up next to me, and it was an instant "oh hell yeah" from all of us. Sleek as ****, rumbling nicely, I was getting excited. Walked all around it multiple times, looked under the hood, looked for drips or leaks, listened for any clicking or sliding noises. Checked to see if the front bumber had been scratched or bottomed-out, checked all the mouldings and seals around the doors, basically just gave it as good a work-down as I could.

So then I got in to take it for a test drive. I was pretty apprehensious, as the only stick i had driven really was a 5spd mazda 626. Had about a 180 hp V6 I think. The hydraulic clutch on the formula was a little hard to get used to, but at least I didn't stall it once. And boy, once you pressed down on the gas it was like you could feel the power jusr *pour* on, with no limit in site. I dont think I ever got it above 4.5 RPMS, and about 55 mph cause of traffic. I did some hard accelerating (or as hard as I could will myself to do), some hard braking, etc. I loved it. Steering was like it was on rails, so responsive compared to my car.

Anyway so I was more than happy with it. Only "problems" i could find with it were some very very small nicks or scrapes at various places on the car, nothing that couldn't be buffed out. The back tint on the hatchback wasn't in the greatest shape, had peices of it that had peeled off. I didn't really care, it was hard to tell there was even a problem until you were staring right down on it. And then finally, there is a peice of plastic that goes under the wiper blades but on top of the hood/glass, kind of connecting the windsheild to the engine area. For some reason it had come loose and flapped a little in the wind. Probably a $30 repair at the dealership, or $5 worth of superglue.

So I get out and we're standing there and i'm like "yeap... I'm definitly interested in it.... *ahem*". The dude is like "well we'd end it early if we got a good enough offer..."

And for a few seconds neither of us said anything, when I was *about* to throw out my $9000 offer, he says

"Yeah, we had another feller lookin' at it and we told him we'd take it for $8300."

I literally had to bite my lip from yelping. $8300! $8300!! what the ****!? i walked around the car once more, and said "mhmm mhmm, 8300 huh... and you're sure there's nothing wrong with it mechanically that you're not telling me?" and he's like "no sir, as far as we know its in perfect condition, i've been driving it myself and I haven't noticed a single thing go wrong, with the exception of that plastic peice that we noticed tonight".

So I'm standing there, and one last time i'm like "So 8300, eh?" and he said "Well, yeah..." and he started to go on to say something else, like he had to convince me of that price, and I just said "Hell. I'll take it. right now." and he was like "You'll take it??" and I said yep and we shook hands and I jumped a little.

So then the boring stuff with loan amounts and downpayments and all that crap had to be hammered out. Looks like now I'm going to pick it up around tuesday or wednesday (today is saturday).

BUT, thats not the best part! eighty-three hundred? I litteraly think I came a little when he said that. tiny little orgasm in my wallet. So the super duper cool part of all this.... ?

My loan is for a maximum amount of $12,600. I said I'd be perfectly happy with $11,000 but not a penny over it. So I'm still gonna go ahead and get the loan for $11,000. That way it will take care of the downpayment, the $700 tax, title, tag, registration, etc etc. After all said and done i'll have roughly $2000 left over from the loan and a $250 / month car payment. Thats just ****ing sweet.

So I'm just gonna take that $2000, add a $1000 of my own and invest it all in the car. Needless to say i'm going to mod it, at least the basic stuff:

1. Very first things first, the **** rims. Take a look of the other pictures... they're 16" Prime rims and i just about gag whenever I see them. They are definitly the first thing to go. I want to get either 17" WS6 rims, or i'll shop around and see what I can get for about $750 or $800. Any suggestions? I want some sort of 5-spoke racing-type wheel, no swirly chrome anywhere.

2. Second I want to get the WS6-Ram Air hood, with the ram-air kit. Cheapest price i've seen online is about $1200 for the full kit, already painted. However, whats the best kind of hood to get? I've seen hand-lain fiberglass, carbon fiber, and some kind of OEM GM Plastic (which was what kind came in that pre-painted kit). Any comments on whats the best kind of hood to get, and what kind to stay away from? Also any ideas on how much it cost if i bought an un-painted hood by itself, and then the ram-air box by itself, and got it painted and put together? Can I save any money doing it myself?

3. Next would be exhaust. I've always had a liking for flowmasters, I just like the way they sound, as well as that nice straight round pipe coming out the back. I'll probably look at borla's or something and do a little research on this and see what i really want.

4. Then comes the intake (if i dont get the ram-air kit right up front).

5. then finally i'll get a new ECU.

After that the list just kind of deepens into "what if" land, which depends entirely on how much money i have to blow, and exactly how unhappy i'll be with 345+ HP (which i doubt i will be).

Anyway so thats the whole story. I'll probably be on this forum a lot asking questions and advice. If anyone has any suggestions on good places to get the parts, let me know!

Holy crap dude are you a journalist or something?

Well anyway, sounds great. So many options to choose from. Opinions are like F-bodys around here, everybody has one, he he.

Unless you are doing the Ram Air hood for looks, you can get a Cold Air Induction kit and get about 90% of the performance of a Ram Air for way less cabbage. ZMAN has a set of Z06 rims for sale. One quick bang for the buck mod is 4.11's. If I had it to do over, I would put 4.11's in instead of the 3.73's.

96 TA Sold!
    87 TA Sold!
    80 Z28 Sold!
    74 Formula Sold!
    73 Z28 Sold!
    69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Actually I do rather want the ram air hood for the looks, as well as the performance part of it. The 98+ body styles are just a little too bubbly and round for me, I want something meaner looking.

Comment

Welcome to the board. My first suggestion is to read the rules and regs.... there is a strict rule of no profanity. I edited your post, if it continues you'll lose the ability to post here. That being said, use the search feature and you'll find a host of knowledge on what wheels fit, what exhaust mods and so on work well. Enjoy.

Comment

Awesome! I was reading your story and I was exited for you! 8300 - you stole that thing. I payed 12,000 (and I thought I got a good deal) for my WS6, but that was years ago. You hit the nail right on the head, when you listed your mods. I looked at the pics FIRST before I read and I said to myself:

1. FORMULA - awesome.
          2. Needs a ram air hood.
          3. Not a fan of the rims.
          4. Otherwise, that car is Bad A$$.

I would look for WS6 rims if I were you. There was a guy who got gold ws6 rims on the board here; they looked great. But go into the search, he posted pics a week or so ago. I really liked the black car and gold WS6 rims.

After that - Nitrous!

96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I like stock rims. I dont know why, but I am not a fan of aftermarket rims.

I hope gunter96ws6 doesnt mind me posting his link, but I really like this look. Check em out, they are firehawk rims.

http://www.msnusers.com/ws6pics/sho...hoto&PhotoID=32

Search "2001 gold firehawk wheels" for the reat of the pics.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

oh.........ehhhhh........(chom slurp)......sorry...fell asleep reading the book..........

good price....glad ur happy.......

no profanity........

thanks Joe.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

You did your home work

Ha Brianteck good job. I may be able to help you with your mod's I am in Carrollton Ga . Have had F bodys for 18 yrs & got a S-10 Blazer with a hot 350 in it.Give my a shout at Hotrodblazer@hotmail.com Would like to see your ride.

Comment

Sorry for the cussing, I guess I come from the "moderation? what the heck is that?" side of the internet.

Also sorry for making that first post so long, I was just excited : )

Re: Blazer's comment... i got a '93 with 185k miles with a busted in back window... il'l sell it to you for five hundred bucks!

Anyway about the rims, as I said I was originally looking at getting the normal WS6 17's... but then I thought, what good would that do me? Then i'd just be a normal formula trying to pose on WS6's. There's actually a guy who lives one building away from me with a black 1997 TA WS6, and as of right now he's got the baddest car in the neighboorhood (right *now*... I dont pick mine up till tuesday hehe). I guess I kind of wanted to get a somewhat more distinct, original look. I want something that's kind of along the WS6 style, ie, 5 spoke, clean, fast looking. Gunmetal gray would probably be my first choice, some kind of brushed steel look. I'd like to stay away from the chrome, its just too ricey now-a-days. Honestly i'd like something really close to the new Cobra rims (or is it just the mustangGT rims? I dont remember). Kind of a 2-3" spoke width, kind of an inset bevel. I dont really like those 6spoke ones that look like beefed up bycicle rims.

Also, this is a bit of stretch, but anyone know of any headlight replacements out there? I have a friend with a 350 RWHP black RX7, and he got some kind of crazy headlights that replaced his "pop up" headlights with just clear static ones. Kind of like hollow tube bulbs, I dont knwo what they're called exactly but they are pretty cool looking and gave the whole car a cool sleek look. Heres a link...

http://www.armond30.com/adp/012.html

I doubt there's anything like this for f-bodies cause I haven't seen one ever, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Also if anyone has any comments on these "GM OEM Plastic" hoods that come pre-painted with the ramair kits... are these really that great to be sitting 2 inches away from a 300+ HP V8? Wont they melt? Anything like that? It seems like the best option at this point.

Comment

The GM hoods you refer to are made from SMC.... Sheet Molded Composite. The same stuff that the Corvette has been made from for many years. A little lighter than fiberglass, doesn't splinter as badly on impact and very heat resistant. There won't be any problem using it at all.

There is a headlight assembly from RKSport that replaces your headlights and motors for fixed position with a clear lens. Expect it to lighten your wallet by $1000.

Comment

Working...
                    X