Anyone hardwire a V1 radar detector?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone hardwire a V1 radar detector?

One of the "mods" I kept with me when I sold my Lightning this past summer was my trusty Valentine 1 radar/laser detector. Although they're $400 new up front, they're worth every penny in my book.

Anyway, in my Lightning, I had the V1 permanently hardwired into the overhead console (with temp & elec compass display) so that it automatically turned on/off with the ignition switch. Another nice thing about this mounting setup is that because it was "hidden" in the dark upper band of the windshield, no one could see it from outside the vehicle. And since no one could see it, I never had to take it down, and it was never stolen (or attempted to be).

Does anyone know if a similar mounting setup is possible in my Comp T/A? If I recall, the only wiring near the rearview mirror is for the two map/vanity lights, which are each normally off and are each powered by their own switch. I'm looking to hook it up so that the detector powers off/on with the ignition key.

Any experience, tips, tricks or pictures are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

GK

Really easy

You just run/tuck the wires inside the headliner, down the windshield pillar and fish them down behind the trim that surrounds the fuse panel, then to the fuse panel. Find a fuse thats off with the key pull the fuse, and put the wire in the fused side of that slot , then put the fuse back in. For the ground you can find a screw under the dash somewhere that goes into metal, crimp a ring terminal on the ground wire and put it on the grounded screw you found.
    NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
    (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Yup >>>

Thats EXACTLY how I did it when I had my Z!

Jeff
      One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

Comment

Re: Anyone hardwire a V1 radar detector?

Originally posted by MXRacer
        One of the "mods" I kept with me when I sold my Lightning this past summer
        GK
        dont you just love those trucks ??? my dad has one and its soo much fun to drive.
        -Nick-
        95 A4 Z28

Comment

Mine is hard wired in but it is on top of the dash sitting on a ram pod.
          http://www.claire-marie.net/103_0375.JPG
          http://www.claire-marie.net/103_0379.JPG
          http://www.rammount.com/

And before you ask, the thing on the right is a amateur radio.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I just used the map light wiring there at the rear view... It is ultimately controlled by the retained accessory power system (I think that is what it is called?), this means it comes on with the ignition or door opening/remote unlocking and stays powered for about 10 or 15 min. after the key is off.

I like this setup because my radar dector does it's power-up self test beeping as soon as I hit the unlock on my remote...not when I am sitting in the seat right next to it! (V1 may not have this issue anyway?)

I also keep mine mounted fairly high and hidden from the outside, some say that this reduces the detector's range, but I am happy with the performance so far.

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

I'll be the first to admit I am not electrically savvy, but if you used the map light wiring, wouldn't the power to the detector be off if when the map light is off (i.e. 99% of the time)? If not, then I'll probably try to do that method, because I also like my detector up high and out of sight (although the V1 detects front and back, so I'll have to make sure it can "see" both ways).

BTW, the V1 also has an annoying power up mode that lasts for a second or two, and I would much prefer it be done by the time I'm actually in the car.

Thanks.

GK

Comment

The map light wiring provides power to the switch mounted in the mirror housing and is "HOT" regardless of whether the switch is on or off (i.e. allowing the power to continue on to the light bulb or not).

Get a test light or volt meter and check the wires, that's the way it works in my '97 anyway.

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

Working...
                X