Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High milage???

With 133,000miles what stage of life is my
    Formula in, it still runs and drives very well and the tranny shifts smooth. The only things I've noticed is the rotors seem
    kinda worn and there might be a small oil leak. Are brakes a common problem with these cars or are mine just worn from old age.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
    2001 Intrigue GL

I'd take a look at the water pump...if you followed maintainece schedule, you should be okay for a good while. You should also check your fuel pump and switch our your fuel filter if you haven't done so...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I opened up my motor to do headgaskets at 125,000 miles. Keep in mind that it has had mobil 1 synthetic since new and changed every 2500-3000 miles tops. Upon opening up the motor, the cylinder walls still had the cross hatching from the honing process, there was no ridge at the top of the bores, everything was exceptionally clean. Based on what I saw, it was just breaking in. It all depends on how well it is cared for. If you have an auto trans, I would plan on a rebuild soon. Ditto for things like front cover seals and rear end pinion seal. Brake rotors on these cars can warp as they are a hair undersized considering the performance potential of the cars.

Comment

The motor and trans are still very very strong, I'm the third owner and I know the last owner was female How would i be able to tell if the water or fuel pump were going bad? Also how long do the brakes on these cars last under normal usage? My other car is a W-body Cutlass Supreme and that thing goes through brakes every 15k.

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
        2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

LoL...I have nothing else better to do right now. Work is kinda slow.

Well, I only replaced a water pump once and that's on my GTA. There is a weep hole in front of the pump and leaks if you pump is going bad...eventually it pours if you don't remedy the bad pump. Check or replace your thermostat while you're at it.

Can't really tell when your fuel pump is getting bad...with all of our cars, V6 or not, LT1, LS1, our fuel pumps make this high pitched "Whine"...if it gets faint, I'd invest in a new one. Fuel cools your pump as it travels through it so don't let your tank go dry...that will kill it even quicker. Replace the filter...takes only 5 minutes to do (you'll get a fuel shower, but it's worth it).

My TA was last owned my a lady...other than oil changes, she didnt do much else...I pulled the fuel filter and the fuel was grayish...not good.

Here is my list of maintainence procedures that I did when I got my TA @ 59,000 on the clock...
          1. Switched out all lighting blubs.
          2. Oil changes every 4K miles (Mobil1...only Mobil1) I assume Joe can be testimony to that.
          3. Flushed Tranny
          4. Replaced Diff Fluid
          5. New brake pads and machined rotors (upgrading soon)
          6. Replaced the plugs and wires (bosch plats and wires)
          7. Replaced Fuel filter
          8. New belt

That's all I've done..and nothing else on the list...my maintainence is upgrading. Upgrading suspension componets soon...and braking too.

You go through brake every 15k??? Holy crap Dude...how do you drive???

Anywho...I love working on cars...so something that breaks is another excuse to stay out in the garage late and fix it...hehehe. That horrible...I'd rather work on the Birds than be in bed with my Fiance...LoL...don't tell her!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm

You go through brake every 15k??? Holy crap Dude...how do you drive???
            I dont drive hard at all, 88-94 W-bdy cars just have a really bad rear brake design, witch causes the fronts to do 95% of the work. The front rotors and pads wear down very quickly.

The water pump on my caprice (witch also has an LT1) must be dying because when I bought it the hole thing was covered in dried up rust colored film. I cleaned off and some came back. The water pump on my firebird looks nothing loke that and I dont see any seepage.

My fuel pump is still making the high pitched whine you described some its still got some life left.

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
            2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

It all depends on how well it is cared for.
              Exactly.
              LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Working...
              X