Know much about Monsoon Systems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know much about Monsoon Systems?

I think one or two of my rear seat speakers are a bit blown and I stopped by the same place that installed my Prestige alarm system. They said that if they were to put in an aftermarket system they would only be able to put in four (large) speakers. they said they would have to bypass two of the monsoon speakers because wiring them is a pain in the ass. otherwise they said I would have to go to the dealer. The pontiac dealership was pretty expensive in replacement parts. What do you guys think. Were they bullsh*tting me or should I take their word for it. They seemed pretty honest.
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

They are doing right by you man... the speakers in a monsoon system are a little different then anything else you could buy. I always forget which is which but they run on a different, somewhat non-standard ohm setup. Pretty much all aftermarket speakers run at a different ohm setting then your Monsoon ones and hence will sound like total and utter crap. There are ways to splice in a subwoofer and amp and have it sound okay but simply replacing component speakers is pretty much not worth the hassle unless its a stocker going back in. Try contacting junk yards that specialize in f-bodies. Maybe try gmpartsdirect.com

Comment

hey mixed puppy, here is my setup after buying my TA (used) with a blown passenger panel speaker. It buzzed like crazy so I decided to replace them...bought some Polks and removed the factory realizing at how much larger the factory magnet is! Then noticed 4 connections instead of the usual 2.

I played with my system with the speakers unhooked and realized they make the "bass". The front and rear-rear speakers do the mids and highs...so I simply added an amp and sub.
      USAcostics Sub (500w) and 10" MTX sub...the combo is just right, bass is tighter than before and the music is much fuller. I have the sub facing downwards in the trunk-well and it sounds great. I get tons of compliments on how great the system sounds running on a stock head unit. Bass is so great is vibrates the side mirrors!

If you want a diagram of my set up and pics just email me.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
      X