New Car Stereo Question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car Stereo Question...

As I mentioned in a thread the other day, my 96 Comp T/A came with a tape player instead of a CD player. I like the fact that it has steering wheel controls and built in equalizer, but its more important to me to be able to play CD's. Therefore, I've started looking around at either getting a new head unit or a CD changers and had a few questions for those of you that are stereo-savvy:

First, is my stock tape player capable of controling a CD-changer? If not, did Pontiac offer a stock CD player that would retain the use of the steering wheel controls?

If the answer to both of those is no, then I'm most likely just going to buy an aftermarket in-dash CD player, and learn to live without the steering wheel controls. Actually, I was just out at lunch and saw this one on sale at Circuit City for about $280:

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/ma...90239&lhalf=bp

Although that website is only asking about $200 (plus S/H), Circuit City will install the CD player for free, and will also include some of the Sirius equipment you'd otherwise have to buy separately if you wanted satellite radio, which I'm also considering.

I guess what I'm asking is are the features of the stereo above worth the $300 or so? I think the power was 50x4, which is right about where all of the other ones I looked at were. How many watts does a stock unit put out? Will there be a noticable improvement in sound quality if I switch the head unit out?

The thing that caught my eye about this stereo was the digital screen display which I thought were more money (better ones are), and the fact it has a swing-down detachable face. Also, the free Sirius equipment offer ends in two days, so I have to make my mind up quick.

Thanks for the help guys.

GK

I had a similar question for my 97 T/A. It has the Monsoon system with a cd player in the dash. I looked in the trunk on the left behind the carpet and found the connector for a CD changer from GM. I think according to belows link yours should have it too.

Here's the previous link http://www.f-body.com/index.html/sho...hlight=changer

Here's a picture of the connector I have
    Attached Files
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

If you would like to upgrade to an aftermarket deck PAC makes a unit that alows you to keep your factory steering wheel controls.

Comment

Working...
      X