Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do V6 F-bods have limited slip?

Just wondering... I know my 86 did not.

My 98 didn't come with it. It was an option in Y87 though. I don't know about previous years.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

So, when someone starts asking about changing their V6 car over to be a V8 car, that is yet another part they will need to replace. Also, most V6 cars have rear drum brakes.

What is Y87?

Comment

Y87 is the upgrade for the V6 (3800 only). Include limitslip (Auburn units in 96-98, Zenxel Units in 98+), Dual exhaust (the TA exhuast pretty much), 14.4:1 ratio steering and 235/55R16 tires. Discs allround in 96 (97+ std).

http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

my sister's 98 v6 firebird has limited slip and 4 wheel disc (i know the previous post said it was std on 98's)
          86 Camaro (350)
          79 Blazer (FI 350)
          98 Buick Riviera (S/C)
          96 Grand Prix (Sp. Ed.)

Comment

Let me tell you that Limited Slip makes a big difference! My 98 V6 was a much more difficult car to drive in bad weather than my V8 with over 50% more power! It was real easy to break the back end loose in rain....I learned to be very careful with it.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
              Let me tell you that Limited Slip makes a big difference! My 98 V6 was a much more difficult car to drive in bad weather than my V8 with over 50% more power! It was real easy to break the back end loose in rain....I learned to be very careful with it.
              It should be just the opposite. An open diff is much better in the rain around corners. The wheels are more free to grip properly.

Limited slip does just what its name implies, it limits the freedom for one wheel to rotate seperate from the other. This is bad in the rain, or in the snow while cornering.

Very good in a strait line, though!

Comment

Really? Hmmm...maybe it was those cruddy stock tires then.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

My 89 V6 does
                  Rob
                  04 GTO

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                    My 89 V6 does
                    Very funny. TTA's may have a 6, but are not the typical v6!! I would hope that thing has limited slip, it needs it!

Comment

Working...
                    X